I’m exhausted today and feeling a little under the weather, so it seemed like a good time to round up some of the pop culture odds and ends that I’ve been squirreling away the last two weeks. Enjoy!
- There is absolutely no way that I am NOT going to see this movie. Liam Neeson is the man:
- From When Harry Met Sally:
Harry: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally: Which one am I?
Harry: You’re the worst kind; you’re high maintenance but you think you’re low maintenance.
Sadly, that last line has been used to describe me. Rest in Peace, Nora Ephron. You wrote some great lines (though your movie Heatburn was pretty terrible) and you helped make Meg Ryan a star.
- Mother Jones put together some funny political attack ads for the characters on Game of Thrones.
- I read a really interesting graphic novel this week called Hit by Pitch, which tells the story of the only person to die during a baseball game after being hit in the head by a pitch as well as profiling the two men whose names are forever linked because of the incident (Ray Chapman and Carl Hays). I learned a lot from the book, as I was only vaguely aware of this sad moment from baseball history. And yes – it was a Yankees player that threw the fatal pitch.
- Even though I didn’t really love Los Angeles when I visited it, I wished I was there when I heard about this Arrested Development themed art exhibit.
- Who on Earth would want to mug Jon Hamm?
- What happens during a rain delay for the Charleston River Dogs minor league baseball team and one of their owners (aka Bill Murray) is in attendance?
- This is the greatest lawsuit ever (and the second one of its kind filed in West Virginia), involving Kim Kardashian, Kris Humphries, Charlie Sheen and barn yard animals. One word for you – meth.
- Someone took the time to organize the Stephen King universe into a flow chart. Impresive!
- More people with a lot of time on their hands – check out this recreation of Van Gogh’s Starry Night using dominoes:
- Slate has an interesting article on a Unified Theory of Muppet Types. I’m still trying to figure out which type I am.
- Louis CK continues to be awesome – for his latest stand up tour, he’s selling tickets directly to fans. No processing fees, no sales tax; all seats are $45. Resell the ticket for more than that and the ticket will be voided. Unfortunately he doesn’t look to be coming to my area so I don’t think I’ll see him this go round, but I love how he is changing how business is done. Don’t forget to tune into his FX show Louie this Thursday at 10:30 ET. You won’t be disappointed (or maybe you will, but that’s your problem).
- There was an actual legal battle between a rapper and Storage Wars’ Dave Hester over the use of the word “Yuuup.” And yes, I’m still watching Storage Wars – not a fan of the new guy that has started popping up on episodes.
- Two of my favorite musicians playing together on one of my favorite songs? My head just blew up.
- Happy 40th Anniversary to the Atari! Believe it or not, the console from my childhood still works, though I think my brother is currently in possession of it. Might be time to pay him a visit and play a few rounds of Space Invaders.