Happy 4th of July! Hope your day is filled with cookouts and fireworks. The weather just might hold out here today, which would be a real miracle.
In honor of the day, here are a few Independence Day related pop culture items to kill some time while you are waiting for some dogs and burgers to cook on the grill. Have a great holiday (and to my international readers, Happy Thursday)
- Obviously no 4th of July roundup would be complete without a reference to the movie Independence Day, which opened 17 years ago on July 3rd
Remember when Will Smith guaranteed box office gold?
- The band Chicago’s song “Saturday in the Park” takes place on the 4th of July. Here’s a remix:
- Happy Independence Day from The Muppets
- Today’s Google Doodle is a road trip across America.
- The folks over at the Huffington Post have put together a playlist for this weekend
- Perfect timing – The Statue of Liberty re-opens today.
- Mashable has 12 Bad-Ass American Inventions that Changed History
- Here’s a little presidential as told by a five year old, courtesy of Jimmy Kimmel Live!
I may have to get that LEGO set!
- Entertainment Weekly has all the TV marathons that are going on today
- This pretty much sums up American patriotism (NSFW):
- And finally, it isn’t the 4th of July if I don’t listen to this song (this one goes out to all my sorority sisters):
Happy birthday America!!!!!!!!