SPOILERS ARE COMING….DUH
Today is one of the saddest days of the year for me; the morning after the season finale of Game of Thrones means that the long wait for new episodes has begun. It doesn’t feel right to not spend my Sunday nights immersed in Westeros, yelling at the TV like the Mad King. I’m particularly bummed out this year because season 6 was just so freaking good; I don’t know if the showrunners were liberated from no longer being boxed in by the source material or if the pieces have just finally fallen into place for some sort of convergence of characters, but the end result has been one of the best seasons of television that I’ve had the pleasure to watch.
I have a lot of Game of Thrones-related thoughts rolling around in my head today, exasperated by the fact that pretty much no one in my office watches the show so I can’t spend my morning decompressing and rehashing the finale like a normal person. If I have my way, all new hires will be required to watch this show – you have no idea what it’s like to have a perfect opportunity to drop a Daenerys Targaryen reference and have no one appreciate it. Sigh. I live a tough life. #thestruggleisreal
So instead, good readers, I’m just going to unload all my random thoughts on you. So if you haven’t watched the finale, this is your last chance to turn back, though honestly I have no idea why you are still reading this at this point.
Heather’s thoughts on the Game of Thrones season six finale (in no particular order):
- Man, I was super pissed to see Dorne featured on the “Previously On…” segment.
- Even though I was pretty confident that Cersei was going to use the wildfire as her “get out of jail” card, that entire opening sequence was beautifully shot and executed *no pun intended*
- When exactly did the “little birds” graduate from gossipmongers to stone cold killers? Arya apparently never had to leave King’s Landing to learn how to be a pint sized assassin. All she needed was some plumbs.
- Cersei calmly drinking wine while the sept blew up may have been my favorite moment of the episode.
- A close second was Cersei’s ironic chant of “Shame” as she left the nun in the hands of The Mountain.
- Really, this was Cersei’s “Lemonade” episode.
- The windows of King’s Landing really should have better security.
(There’s an inappropriate “Free Fallin’” joke to be made here)
- I’m sad that Queen Margaery and Loras (and like half of King’s Landing) meet their demise, but the real question here is WHAT HAPPENED TO SER POUNCE?!?!
- I’m not really sure where this storyline with Sam is going, but it was worth it to see how happy he was in the Citadel library.
- I was surprised that the Maesters weren’t more up on current events at the Wall.
- No rose for you Daario. Danny’s got bigger fish to fry.
- Speaking of which – who are potential husbands for Daenerys? Seems like a lot of the people running the world right now are the ladies and I’m guessing that Westeros doesn’t have a liberal same-sex marriage policy.
- That scene between Tyrion and Daenerys was fantastic.
- Hopefully Hand of the Queen has better job security than Hand of the King.
- Where’s Brianne? Is Tormund worried about her?
- Also, where in the hell is Gendry? Is he the “Russian in the Pine Barrens” of Game of Thrones?
- Melisande got off pretty easy for her child murdering ways.
- LOL – the Queen of Thornes ain’t got no time for the Sand Snakes.
- Arya pulled a reverse Scott Tenorman on Walder Frey.
- Glad Walder Frey finally got what was coming to him, but the Red Wedding feels like it was so long ago that his murder didn’t have the same kind of satisfaction that I thought it was had. Honestly, it felt just like tying off a lose end – and proving that Arya is very efficient with her kill list.
- We finally received confirmation of R+L=J, which honestly probably would have been a lot more exciting of a reveal if we hadn’t all known this forever. Still, glad that we officially know that Lyanna is Jon’s mother, though how annoying that we don’t know what she whispered to Ned.
- Snaps to the casting director for finding a baby that looks world weary at birth.
- Littlefinger was peak creepy in this episode, but I still love him.
- I know that we’re six season in, but is it too late to back Lady Lyanna for the Iron Throne? Seriously, this kid is a freaking boss.
- Like, I know she’s 10 years old, but I’m already rooting for Jon to marry her. She’s the best hype man of the North.
- I’ve got to admit, Jon being crowned King of the North got me a little misty. Let’s hope this ends better than it did for Robb.
- There was a lot of side eye going on in this episode which hints at some potential rifts coming in season 7.
- Queen Cersei? That’s not good for anybody.
- Most of all Cersei, who has no idea that dragons, Dothraki, Tyrells, Sand Snakes, the Unsullied, Daenerys and her brother are coming for her.
- Wait – how did Varys get back to Danny so quickly?!? He was JUST in Dorne.
- The Dothraki be like:
So what did you all think? Did you love season 6 as much as I did? Any thought/predictions about what’s to come? Let us know in the comments.