The world of pop culture never stops spinning, but it does occasionally slow down. This past week is a perfect example, since Thanksgiving and the return of Gilmore Girls soaked up a lot of the pop culture bandwidth. So while the pop culture roundup may be on the light side this week, there’s still plenty that you may have missed while you were gobbling up turkey with your family or throwing down to get the best Black Friday deals.
- Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles may be coming to a TV near you as a new series.
- Netflix’s Santa Clarita Diet, starring Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant, will debut February 2017.
- Netflix will offer an offline viewing option for some content.
- Iron Chef America is getting a reboot.
- Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp have joined the cast of Star Trek: Discovery.
- Amazon has revealed who will play the titular Man in the High Castle – and it isn’t someone I would have expected.
- Daniel Brühl and Luke Evans have been cast in TNY’s drama The Alienist.
- An oral history of Boy Meets World.
- Larry Wilmore has a development deal at ABC. We need his voice back on TV.
- This may be the only time I’m sad that I don’t live in L.A. – a Bob’s Burgers pop-up is coming to town.
- Kevin Smith has dropped out of the Buckaroo Banzai TV show.
- Paul Bettany will play the Unabomber for Discovery Channel.
- Syfy has renewed Z-Nation for a 4th season.
- Talk about Johnny on the spot – Harry Shearer is developing a weekly satire series about Trump’s presidency.
- CBS’ The Odd Couple will not have its episode count extended beyond 13 episodes this season.
- Derek Hough and Ne-Yo will be judges on J Lo’s NBC show World of Dance.
- UPROXX ranks the most memorable deaths on True Blood (spoilers, obvs).
- In case you were wondering (you weren’t), we now know what the “S” in David S. Pumpkins stands for.
- Tom Holland is in talks to join Daisy Ridley in the YA adaptation Chaos Walking.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda will produce and compose the big screen adaptation of Kingkiller Chronicles.
- Leslie Mann, Ike Barinholtz and John Cena to star in Key Cannon’s The Pact.
- Vulture examines who did more to end WWII – Brad Pitt or Tom Hanks?
- Bradley Cooper will star in the WWII drama Atlantic Wall.
- Jodie Foster will return to acting in Hotel Artemis.
- Fox has unveiled a new release schedule for upcoming movies, including Deadpool 2 and Avatar 2.
- The Kingsman sequel has been delayed once again.
- Forbes has released its annual list of box-office turkeys.
- Oscar contenders break down their toughest scenes.
- This week in pop culture real estate – Jack Horner’s house from Boogie Nights is on the market. Bring lots of bleach.
- Rodney Dangerfield’s yacht from Caddyshack is also up for grabs.
- The 2016 Annie Award nominations for animated films have been announced.
- Season finale of Westworld:
- Lifetime’s Beaches remake:
- Emerald City:
- Goon 2:
- White Rabbit Project:
- First promo for the Golden Globes:
- Dave Matthews debuted a new song inspired by Standing Rock.
- Paisley Park will hold a 4 day Prince celebration next April.
- Metallica’s new album had a very big first week for sales.
- Lil Wayne is teasing a new project called “Funeral.”
- Vince Staples has announced his first headlining tour.
- Dolly Parton and her Goddaughter Miley Cyrus sang “Jolene” on The Voice.
- Chance the Rapper has cancelled the remaining dates of his world tour.
- Wilco has announced new tour dates.
- Erykah Badu’s mom, who was the titular “Ms. Jackson” in the Outkast song, apparently really loved having a song written about her.
- Frank Ocean has announced his first live show in support of Blonde.
- Police officers in a small town in Canada are using Nickleback as punishment.
- AT&T is unveiling a new 24/7 Taylor Swift channel. That sounds like my own personal nightmare.
- If you’ve got a spare $5000 laying around, you can see Madonna dressed up like a clown.
- Kanye’s childhood home is going to become a community art incubator.
- The son of The Sex Pistol’s manager burned close to $6 million worth of the band’s memorabilia.
- Harold Ramis’ daughter Violet Ramis Stiel is writing a book about her dad called Ghostbuster’s Daughter.
- Caitlyn Jenner’s memoir is due out April 25, 2017.
- The Girl on the Train author Paula Hawkins will release her second book in 2017.
- A lost H.G. Wells story will appear in print for the first time ever.
- Stephen Lynch is going out on his first national tour in three years.
- Hamilton set a Broadway record for the most money earned in a single week ($3.3 million!).
Odds and Ends
- Adele plans to have another baby once her tour ends.
- Ed Sheeran allegedly had his face sliced with a sword by Princess Beatrice during a faux knighting gag. That may be the most British sentence ever written.
- Amanda Seyfried and fiancé Thomas Sadoski are expecting their first child.
- This baby looks a lot like Danny DeVito:
- Justin Bieber is up to his usual shenanigans – he punched a fan.
- Matthew McConaughey gave students at his alma mater safe rides home over the weekend. That beats the “drunk bus” we had in college.
- Gucci Mane proposed to girlfriend Keyshia Ka’oir at an Atlanta Hawks game.
- Anthony Michael Hall has been charged with felony battery.
- Emma Roberts and Evan Peters may be engaged (again).
- Poor Kanye isn’t doing well and will remain hospitalized.
- 2016 continues to suck – Florence Henderson has passed away at 82.
- Veteran TV and Broadway actor Fritz Weaver has died.
- Star Wars actor Peter Sumner passed away.
- Ron Glass, best known for his work on Barney Miller and Firefly, has died at 71.
Mashups and Supercuts
- Every “Matt” from American Horror Story: Roanoke:
- E.T. meets Star Wars with this action figure:
- Who knew Mariah Carey and My Chemical Romance would mash-up so well?:
- Want to watch all 8 Harry Potter movies in a little over an hour? This mashup is for you:
- Wes Anderson made an ad for H&M:
- Someone made the lyrics of Smashmouth’s “All Star” into an action movie trailer: