I feel like I’m not doing summer right this year. I made the conscious decision to not overbook myself this year and to spend more time at home. This was partially a cost savings measure since I’ll probably be in need of a new car soon, but also so I could spend more time with my little nephew. I didn’t want to miss out on these important few months because I was away. In theory, this was supposed to be a summer when I didn’t miss out on things going on locally and that I would spend more time with my friends here. In practice, that hasn’t much come to fruition – which is partially my fault for not advertising that I am in town. But the invites to BBQs and patio drinking haven’t been pouring in like I hoped and now it’s already the middle of July and I feel like I haven’t accomplished much of anything on my summer time bucket list. So I really need to kick it in gear for these final weeks of summer. I’m going to visit that Game of Thrones bar in DC if it’s the only thing I do.
So while I try to figure out a summer’s worth of activities into five weeks, get yourself caught up on the pop culture you might have missed while you were making better use of your summer.
- The new Doctor on Doctor Who was announced – Jodie Whittaker will be the first female Doctor.
- Here are the 2017 Emmy nominees.
- TNT has renewed Claws for a second season. Yay!
- Alec Baldwin to star in NBC’s production of A Few Good Men.
- Starz is making a drama based on Mariah Carey’s early life. I assume emphasis on drama.
- Family Guy paid tribute to Adam West.
- Noah Hawley, Robert Kirkman, and Joe and Anthony Russo are teaming up for a new crime drama for FX.
- Ryan Phillippe broke his leg in a freak accident, which may impact the production of Shooter.
- The director of the It remake will direct the pilot for Hulu’s Locke & Key adaption.
- Leah Gibson will appear in the second season of Jessica Jones.
- @midnight will end after four seasons.
- Annie Potts has joined the cast of the Big Bang Theory spin-off, Young Sheldon.
- An oral history of The Simpsons’ episode that featured the Planet of the Apes musical.
- MTV is bringing back Jersey Shore, because 2017 doesn’t have enough problems.
- MTV will also debut a Catfish spin-off.
- Katja Herbers will appear on the second season of Westworld.
- Carla Gugino has signed up for Netflix’s 10-episode The Haunting of Hill House.
- Before getting fired, the original Walking Dead showrunner wrote some pretty angry emails.
- This handy guide outlines the rest of Netflix’s original series, specials and films for summer 2107.
- The Dark Tower movie will only be 95 minutes long.
- Mark Ruffalo says a standalone Hulk movie will never happen.
- Clint Eastwood hires the real-life heroes who thwarted a terrorist attack to play themselves in The 15:17 to Paris. Tom Lennon and Tony Hale have also joined the cast.
- Blake Lively will play an assassin in the thriller The Rhythm Section.
- Walton Goggins joins Ant-Man and The Wasp.
- Felicity Jones will play Ruth Bader Ginsburg in a biopic.
- Daveed Diggs to star in the movie Blindspotting.
- A whole bunch of great people have joined the cast of Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman – Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel, Bobby Cannavale, and Ray Romano.
- Scorsese will also re-team with Leonardo DiCaprio on a film adaptation of Killers Of The Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.
- Matt Reeves replaced Ben Affleck as the director of The Batman and now he’s getting rid of Affleck’s script.
- Disney confirms Colin Farrell and Michael Keaton will appear in Tim Burton’s Dumbo remake.
- The live-action Aladdin movie finally found its two leads.
- Ben Affleck has dropped out of the Netflix film Triple Frontier.
- Toy Story 4 has lost its director.
- Taraji P. Henson joins the cast of the Wreck-It Ralph sequel.
- David Ayer will no longer direct the ill-advised Scarface remake.
- Kelsey Grammer is in talks to play Kristen Bell’s dad in the comedy Like Father.
- Jorge Lendeborg will be the male lead in the Transformers spin-off, Bumblebee.
- Lily James will play a young Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again.
- Disney announced an immersive hotel in Orlando, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Did people learn nothing from Westworld?
- The release of the live-action Mulan movie has been delayed.
- Dev Patel will star with Ben Stiller in the move Chippendales.
- Christina Hendricks, Alysia Reiner, and Anna Camp join the comedy Egg.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda will score the live-action The Little Mermaid with Alan Menken.
- They are making a movie based on Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus.
- A Wrinkle In Time:
- The Glass Castle:
- Blade Runner 2049:
- The Layover:
- Wild River:
- Professor Marston & The Wonder Woman:
- The Tick:
- Mr. Mercedes:
- The Disaster Artist:
- The Incredible Jessica James:
- Darkest Hour:
- Crown Heights:
- Narcos, season 3:
- Difficult People, season 3:
- American Assassin:
- Outlander, season 3:
- Nine Inch Nails announced a new EP.
- Lana Del Rey has released two new songs with A$AP Rocky.
- Kesha enlisted the Dap-Kings for her new single.
- Sisqo and “The Thong Song” are back.
- Uma Thurman will make her Broadway debut in The Parisian Women.
- Euan Morton will play King George in Broadway’s Hamilton.
- Joe Biden is writing a book.
- Two new books about Harry Potter – but not Harry Potter books – will be released this fall.
Odds and Ends
- Mindy Kaling is reportedly pregnant with her first child.
- Beyoncé and JAY-Z’s new twins are now Instagram official:
Still unclear – is her son’s name Sir Carter Carter?
- Jessica Alba and husband Cash Warren are expecting their third child.
- Jesse Williams and Minka Kelly are dating.
- Kid Rock continues to threaten a Senate run.
- ScHoolboy Q and his dog were separated on a flight; United put the pooch on the wrong flight.
- Snoop Dogg has a new line of bongs for the rich stoner in your life.
- Aaron Carter was arrested for DUI and marijuana possession.
- Former TLC star Toby Willis has been sentenced to 40 years in prison for child rape
- R. Kelly is accused of keeping young women trapped in a cult.
- DMX has turned himself in to the cops on charges of tax evasion.
- Bad week for America’s Got Talent – winner Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr. arrested for domestic violence and contestant Brandon Rogers died.
- 2 Live Crew rapper Christopher “Fresh Kid Ice” Wong Won has died. He was 53.
- The Walking Dead stuntman John Bernecker has died after an on-set injury.
- Graceland guitarist and arranger Ray Phiri has died. He was 70.
- R.I.P. Oscar-winning actor Martin Landau. He was 89.
- Director and horror movie legend George Romero passed away. He was 77.
Mashups and Supercuts
- Hamilton meets Game of Thrones:
- Every Rage Against the Machine song in 3 minutes:
- The Game of Thrones theme play on traditional Southeast Asian folk instruments:
- What if Garden State had a Dave Matthews Band soundtrack:
- Ghostbusters recut as a slasher flick: