I am not actually hungover from Halloween – I didn’t do much of anything to celebrate the day. I like Halloween a lot – what’s not to like about a holiday that centers around free candy? – but I didn’t have the energy to do much of anything other than pain my nails in a festive way.
I did get a visit from my first trick or treater in over a decade; my baby nephew paid a visit to show off his third Halloween costume. That kid is the Diana Ross of Halloween. I didn’t even watch any scary movies. I did manage to swing by the store early this morning before work to try and stock up on some discounted candy, but sadly the pickings were kind of slim. Christmas candy was already out; there is no time to dwell on the ghosts of holidays past.
So I rely on my co-workers to bring in their kids’ candy, get yourself caught up on all the pop culture that you might have missed with this week’s roundup.
- House of Cards will end after its next season. Production on the final season has been shut down after the Kevin Spacey allegations
- Netflix is considering House of Cards spinoffs.
- HBO has picked up a limited series starring Kit Harington.
- American Vandal has been renewed for a second season.
- If you’ve been shipping Joyce and Hopper on Stranger Things, David Harbour is right there with you.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda is producing an adaptation of The Kingkiller Chronicle for Showtime.
- AMC has ordered a third season of Preacher.
- Tiffany Haddish and Chance the Rapper to host SNL in November.
- Olivia Colman will replace Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth in season three of The Crown.
- Nathan Fillion found another cop show to star in.
- Vincent D’Onofrio will return for Daredevil’s third season.
- USA has canceled Playing House.
- Fox is turning the graphic novel Snow Blind into an hour-ling drama.
- Kiersey Clemons joins the fourth season of Angie Tribeca.
- Fred Armisen to appear on Last Mon on Earth.
- The Disney Channel will feature its first coming out story on Andi Mack.
- If you are more patient than me and haven’t started watching Stranger Things 2 yet (I finished in 24 hours), here’s a drinking game to liven up the experience.
- A Bad Boys TV spinoff with Gabrielle Union is in the works.
- Two podcasts – Sword and Scale and Up and Vanished – have been picked up as TV projects.
- Kristen Bell says that more Veronica Mars is eventually coming.
- The winner of The Great British Bake Off was accidentally revealed early.
- MTV is trying to recapture some of the “magic” of Jersey Shore with the new reality show Floribama Shore.
- Wendy Williams fainted on live TV.
- The CW is developing a near death experience dramedy from Rob Giles and Page Fright.
- NBC is developing a comedy from a co-executive producer on The Simpsons.
- The third season of Baroness von Sketch Show premieres on IFC next year.
- Ron Howard allegedly reshot nearly all of the Han Solo movie for twice the budget.
- Tom Hanks to star in the sci-fi film Bios.
- Zachary Levi joins the cast of the Shazam! movie.
- Lily Collins to star opposite Zac Efron in the Ted Bundy biopic.
- Brian Tyree Henry has been cast in Barry Jenkins’ adaptation of If Beale Street Could Talk.
- Lupita Nyong’o and Josh Gad to co-star in an Australian zombie comedy.
- The Weinstein Company has postponed the release of Polaroid and The Current War and had no additional 2017 releases.
- Christoph Waltz will not return for the next James Bond movie.
- Allison Williams joins the horror-thriller The Perfection.
- The Pet Sematary remake has landed a new director.
- Isla Fisher joins Matthew McConaughey in Harmony Korine’s The Beach Bum.
- Joseph-Gordon Levitt to star in the terrorism thriller 7500.
- Lethal Weapon 5 could go from a joke on It’s Always Sunny to a reality.
- Better Midler is already hating on the Hocus Pocus remake.
- Adam Driver joins the cast of Spike Lee’s Black Klansman. Topher Grace has also signed on.
- Rob Zombie is making a sequel to The Devil’s Rejects.
- Jenni Konner and Lena Dunham will adapt E. Lockhart’s Genuine Fraud.
- Marvel’s Runaways:
- Ghost Stories:
- Ash vs. Evil Dead, season 3:
- War Dog: A Soldier’s Best Friend:
- A Christmas Story Live!:
- Total Divas, season 7:
- Channel Zero:
- Den of Thieves:
- No Activity:
- Larry David has curated a Curb Your Enthusiasm playlist for Spotify.
- Taylor Swift dropped a new music video.
- Eminem wins a copyright lawsuit against a New Zealand political party. He’ll donate the money to hurricane relief.
- Hear the soundtrack from the upcoming film musical The Greatest Showman, starring Hugh Jackman.
- You shouldn’t buy Chris Brown’s new album for many reasons, the least of which is that it has 45 songs and is 2.5 hours long.
- Willow Smith dropped a new album.
- A La La Land spoof gets an off-Broadway run.
- The Magic Mike musical will feature female dancers as well.
- These Stephen King characters appear in multiple books.
- Surprising development – Gwyneth Paltrow basically won Halloween. (Spoilers for 20+ year old movie).
- The Harris-Burtka family never disappoints.
- It took Heidi Klum six hours to put on her costume.
- Beyoncé and Jay Z dressed up as an iconic rap duo.
- Kim Kardashian’s Cher costume got the approval of the diva herself.
Odds and Ends
- Kevin Spacey accused of sexually assaulting then 14 year-old Anthony Rapp. Spacey chose this inopportune time to finally come out of the closet.
- Six actresses have accused Brett Ratner of sexual harassment and misconduct.
- Jeremy Piven has also been accused of sexual harassment on the set of Entourage.
- Charlie Heaton was denied entry to the U.S. after cocaine was found in his luggage.
- Andy Dick was fired from a film over claims of sexual harassment.
- John Mayer is celebrating a year of sobriety.
- Carli B and Offset got engaged onstage in Philly.
- Actor Justin Hartley and Chrishell Stause got married.
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd have reportedly split. Enter Justin Bieber stage right.
- Khloe Kardashian is allegedly expecting a baby boy.
- Oscar-winning cinematographer Walter Lasally has died. He was 90.
- Oscar-winning costume designer John Lollo has passed away. He was 86.
Mashups and Supercuts
- A jazz cover of “Thriller”:
- A Metallica and Frozen mashup:
- The Stranger Things theme mashed up with Ariana Grande:
- Sherriff Jim Hopper dancing to various tunes in my new favorite Twitter account:
- Sesame Street is getting in on Stranger Things 2 as well:
- A compilation of the gruesome deaths in the Saw movies: