I had high hopes that I was going to be able to keep kicking out reviews and posts at the rate I established at the beginning of the year, but sadly the post-holiday calm I was enjoying has evaporated and its back to the usual craziness. Working full-time, teaching, and somehow getting sick again is putting a real crimp in my leisure activities. So there are a lot of posts in the hopper – I just need to find the time to get them out of my head and down on paper. Believe me – I have a lot of thoughts about Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
But at least you always have the pop culture roundup. As usual, I’ve spent the last week culling the best info that the world of pop culture has to offer. So get yourself caught up with the latest installment of the week in pop.
- Meryl Streep has joined the cast of Big Little Lies for its second season.
- Helen Mirren to play Catherine the Great in a miniseries for HBO.
- Showtime renewed The Chi for a second season.
- Production has resumed on House of Cards; Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear joined the cast.
- Courtney B. Vance and Mary-Louise Parker to star in Compliance at FX.
- CBS is bringing back Murphy Brown.
- CBS has also ordered pilots for reboots of Magnum P.I. and Cagney & Lacey.
- John Malkovich will guest star on Billions.
- Stephenie Meyer’s The Chemist will be adapted as a TV series.
- Leslie Jones will once again be a NBC contributor during the Winter Olympics.
- The Muppet Babies reboot introduces a new character (and one original character is not included).
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee will air a Puerto Rico special in March.
- Cherry Jones to appear in the second season of The Handmaid’s Tale.
- Netflix renewed Fuller House for a fourth season.
- The pilot for HBO’s Watchmen TV adaption will be directed by Nicole Kassell.
- Bravo is turning the popular podcast Dirty John into a scripted drama anthology series.
- Norm Macdonald might get a Netflix talk show.
- Syfy has renewed Happy! for a second season.
- Lois Lane will be the star of the new TV series Metropolis.
- Suits has been renewed for an eight season – without Meghan Markle or Patrick J. Adams.
- Showtime has canceled Dice after two seasons.
- Fresh off her stint in the White House, Omarosa is headed back to reality TV.
- Here’s what is coming and going from Netflix in February. And Hulu. And HBO.
- Tom Hanks will play Mr. Rogers in a biopic, which is frankly perfection.
- Steven Spielberg is remaking West Side Story.
- Michael Shannon joins the cast of The Little Drummer Girl.
- Emily Blunt joins the cast of The Rock’s Jungle Cruise movie.
- Sam Raimi will direct the film version of The Kingkiller Chronicle.
- Michael K. Williams to co-star in the Superfly remake.
- Emily V. Gordon will write a movie adaptation of The Nest for Amazon.
- Action Bronson joins the cast of Scorsese’s The Irishman.
- Jennifer Hudson to play Aretha Franklin in a biopic.
- Here’s a roundup of all the movies that were sold this year at Sundance.
- Bill Nighy and Chris Geere join the cast of Detective Pikachu.
- Robert Kirkman to produce a film version of the comic Birthright.
- The fourth Cloverfield movie is a supernatural WWII thriller.
- After star Blake Lively was injured, production has shut down on the movie Rhythm Section.
- An animated The Cat in the Hat movie is in the works at Warner Brothers.
- Redacted won’t appear in Avengers: Infinity War.
- Charlie Kaufman will write and direct a film adaptation of I’m Thinking of Ending Things.
- Freida Pinto and Leslie Odom, Jr. to star in Only.
- Mel Gibson is making The Passion Of The Christ 2.
- Some info on the new Bill & Ted movie.
- Ant-Man and The Wasp:
- The Cured:
- The Ritual:
- Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again:
- Andre the Giant:
- On My Block:
- When We First Met:
- Looking Glass:
- The Hurricane Heist:
- I Kill Giants:
- Total Bellas, season 3:
- Here is the full list of Grammy Award winners.
- Elton John is retiring after a world tour.
- Donald Glover is still retiring Childish Gambino.
- Jack White is banning cell phones at his concert.
- Casey Affleck will not present at the Academy Awards.
Odds and Ends
- This week in sexual assault/harassment accusations: Nelly (again), David Copperfield, Scott Baio, Jeremy Piven (again), and Charlie Walk.
- 50 Cent is an accidental Bitcoin millionaire.
- Tom Cruise is now on Instagram.
- Tom Hardy has apparently made good on his bet with Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Everything you know is a lie – Willem Dafoe’s real name is William.
- There is now a Harry Potter-themed cruise.
- Former Disney Channel star Adam Hicks arrested on suspicion of armed robbery.
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend are expecting a baby boy.
- Horror novelist Jack Ketchum has passed away.
- Musician Mark E. Smith has died. He was 60.
- Cartoonist Mort Walker has passed away. He was 94.
- Actress Olivia Cole has died. She was 75.
- Actor Mark Salling is dead of an apparent suicide. He was 35.
Mashups and Supercuts
- A James Corden/Helen Mirren rap battle:
- The Lady Bird trailer – if everyone screamed:
- Adele dressed up as Dolly Parton – and it was glorious: