The Academy Awards were Sunday and my general feeling about it this year could be summed up in the following GIF:
For the first time in probably at least 15 years, I didn’t even watch the telecast and though I had extra time for the Oscar death race this year, thanks to the Olympics, I somehow managed to put in my worst performance ever. Not only did I miss out on the usual elusive categories like best foreign film and the shorts, I didn’t even complete the major categories, including Best Picture; in the end, my indifference to Dunkirk won out over my desire to see all the nominated films. For me, I generally wasn’t all that enamored with a lot of the nominees that I did watch; I was rooting for Get Out and Ladybird to do well, but I didn’t have a strong opinion about most of the other films. I didn’t even hate any of them (a la War Horse); when most of them ended, I thought “that was fine” and that was the end of it. I’m hoping that this was just an overall “meh” year for movies and not a sign that I’ve lost interest in this entire endeavor. That would make me really sad.
So while I contemplate if this means I’ve having some sort of existential crisis, get yourself caught up with this week’s installment of the pop culture roundup.
- Black Mirror will be back for a fifth season. Yay!
- Stranger Things adds Maya Thurman-Hawke to the cast and confirms the return of season 2 MVP Priah Ferguson as Lucas’ little sister.
- Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington to co-star in a limited series based on Little Fires Everywhere.
- The premiere of the Heathers TV reboot has been delayed indefinitely – reportedly because of the Parkland school shooting, but more likely because it got terrible reviews.
- Hasan Minhaj is getting a weekly talk show on Netflix.
- Gina Rodriguez will guest star on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- Nick Offerman to star in Amazon’s Good Omens.
- Another It cast member joins Hulu’s Castle Rock.
- Luke Cage returns to Netflix on June 22 for a second season.
- The new Bachelorette has been named.
- Taran Killam, Leighton Meester, and Brad Garrett to star in the comedy pilot Single Parents.
- Netflix has ordered a comedy series from Summer Heights High’s Chris Lilley.
- Blue’s Clues is making a comeback.
- Seth Rogen is working on an US adaptation of the Britich comedy Plebs.
- Netflix is set to release 700 (!) original movies and TV shows this year.
- The first two seasons of Seeso’s (R.I.P.) Take My Wife are coming to iTunes and Starz.
- Jessica Alba signed up for Gabrielle Union’s Bad Boys series.
- Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio to star in Quentin Tarantino’s next film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. This is basically my dream come true.
- Black Panther is now among the 10th highest grossing films in America of all time.
- Avengers: Infinity War will debut one week earlier than expected.
- Not wanting to face off with the Avengers, The Rock’s Rampage moves it release date to April 13.
- Kristen Wiig is in talks to play Cheetah in Wonder Woman 2.
- Ben Platt is set to star in the film Love & Oatmeal.
- The Crow remake with Jason Momoa will allegedly hit theaters in 2019.
- The live-action Mulan has been delayed until 2020.
- Tiffany Haddish set to star in Tyler Perry’s new movie.
- Fear is getting a remake – I assume they’ll keep the roller coaster scene.
- Michael K. Williams has a pretty good attitude about being cut from Solo: A Star Wars Story.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ken Jeong, and Chris Parnell have joined the cast of Goosebumps 2.
- Aladdin will feature two songs from La La Land songwriting duo.
- John Travolta to star in a movie by Fred Durst. No….seriously.
- Fox is courting Rashida Jones to co-write the 9 to 5 reboot.
- Kristen Roupenian, author of the short story “Cat Person,” has sold a horror movie script.
- Mary Poppins Returns:
- The final season of House of Cards:
- Most Likely to Murder:
- Lost in Space:
- Christopher Robin:
- Legion season 2:
- Muppet Guys Talking:
- Wild Wild Country:
- Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger:
- WarGames, season one:
- The Endless:
- Book Club:
- Cobra Kai:
- Scary Love:
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery:
- It looks like Beyoncé and Jay-Z may be going out on a joint tour again.
- Childish Gambino is going out on tour.
- Neko Case is hitting the road as well.
- Her Sade’s new song from A Wrinkle in Time.
- Eric B & Rakim are reuniting for a tour.
- Journey’s Greatest Hits album hits 500 weeks on the Billboard 200. Don’t stop believein’ indeed.
- The one-of-a-kind Wu-Tang album purchased by pharma-douche Martin Shkreli may be seized by the government
- Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson are going out on tour together.
- The Frye Festival promoter has pled guilty to fraud.
- Ta-Nehisi Coates will work on the new Captain America comic.
- Neil Gaiman has announced a new line of Sandman spin-off comics.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber has a new memoir.
- Michael Imperioli has written a new novel.
- Uzodinma Iweala, author of Beasts of No Nations, has a new book about coming-out.
- NBC’s Bye Bye Birdie Live! has been delayed again.
- Hamilton leads the pack in Olivier Award nominations.
- Tommy Wiseau wants to stage The Room on Broadway.
- Here are all of this year’s Oscar winners.
- I didn’t watch the Oscar telecast this year – and apparently a lot of other people didn’t either. I’m such a trendsetter.
- The Lonely Island recorded a demo song for the Oscars that wasn’t used.
- Friendship goals: Keegan Michael Key’s reaction to Jordan Peele’s Oscar win. Colin Hanks looks pretty psyched as well.
- Macaulay Culkin and Lakeith Stanfield live-tweeted the Oscars.
- Rita Moreno wore the same dress to the Academy Awards as she did in 1962 when she won.
- Robert Lopez became the first double EGOT winner on Sunday.
- Here are the 2018 Razzie Winners. The Rock accepted his Razzie on social media.
- Ricky Gervais’ new Netflix special premieres later this month.
- Funny or Die is migrating over to Vox Media’s platform.
- Ray Romano is the latest person to get a Netflix standup special.
Odds and Ends
- A word from The Simpsons has been added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary.
- B.J. Novak was Mindy Kaling’s date to the Oscars and please, please, please let him be her baby daddy.
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson are expecting a baby girl.
- Rick Ross was hospitalized after being found unresponsive.
- The Rock’s daughter Jasmine had an undisclosed medical emergency.
- Usher and wife Grace Miguel are calling it a day.
- A Brooklyn car crash injured Broadway star Ruthie Ann Miles and killed her 4 year old daughter. Another child was also killed.
- Comedian Barry Crimmins has lost his battle with cancer.
- Russ Solomon, founder of Tower Records, has died. He was 92.
- Actor David Ogden, who starred in M*A*S*H, has died. He was 75.
Mashups and Supercuts
- “The Hamilton Polka” by Weird Al:
- Steve Buscemi auditions for all the Best Picture nominees: