So this week has basically been a perfect storm of crap – work has been tremendously busy and stressful as I’m juggling a lot right now and I also had to grade all the exams for the class that I’m teaching which is a huge time suck. Add to that the fact that I haven’t been sleeping well and some stuff going on in my personal life (not me, but many of my friends are having a rough week) and I’m pretty much living this meme right now:
I honestly forgot that yesterday was even Wednesday, which gives you a pretty good idea where my head is at. So with apologies, here is your slightly delayed installment of this week’s pop culture roundup.
- Kanye West has filmed an episode of Family Feud.
- Natalie Morales to star in a new comedy pilot from Michael Schur.
- Stephen King’s poem “The Bone Church” is going to be a TV show.
- Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira are adapting Americanah as a TV miniseries.
- HBO has renewed Crashing and High Maintenance.
- NBC has renewed Superstore.
- Faith Ford, Joe Regalbuto, and Grant Shaud will reprise their roles in the Murphy Brown reboot.
- Comedy Central has renewed Corporate for a second season.
- Also renewed by Comedy Central – Drunk History.
- Archer: Danger Island premieres in April.
- The creators of Westworld reveal what characters will be back for season 2.
- Adam Scott will also be returning for more Big Little Lies.
- The Queens for the new season of RuPaul’s Drag Race have been revealed.
- Family Guy is going to take a more in-depth exploration of Stewie’s sexual orientation.
- Three more cast members join the second season of The Punisher.
- The Snowpiercer TV series nabs the Orphan Black showrunner.
- It’s been a rollercoaster week for M. Night Shyamalan – Wayward Pines was cancelled, but his psychological thriller series was picked up by Apple.
- Matt Berninger of The National is making a TV series about his life.
- Alec Baldwin is getting a talk show at ABC.
- An animated The Rocketeer series is coming to Disney Junior.
- Creator and showrunner of Fuller House Jeff Franklin has been fired after complaints about his behavior.
- Jennifer Lawrence is working on a TV series inspired by the #MeToo movement.
- Lea Thompson to star in a comedy pilot for Fox from Lee Daniels.
- Kristin Chenoweth to star in the second season of Trial & Error.
- A Blair Witch TV series is in the works.
- Kendrick Lamar wants to play a villain in the next Black Panther movie and I am here for this idea.
- Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan, and Ta-Nehisi Coates are working together on a new movie. Are tickets available yet?
- Lupita Nyong’o to play as Trever Noah’s mom in the film adaptation of his memoir.
- James Gunn has revealed some info about Groot and I am not OK.
- Joss Whedon will no longer direct a Batgirl film.
- Chris Hemsworth is in talks to star in the Men In Black spinoff.
- Gina Rodriguez to star in and produce a movie for Netflix.
- Octavia Spencer, Tig Notaro, Tom Segura, and Iliza Schlesinger have joined the cast of Instant Family with Mark Wahlberg.
- Greta Gerwig wants to make three more “spiritual sequels” to Lady Bird.
- Paul Thomas Anderson is writing a movie with his eight year old daughter.
- The Duplass Brothers have a four-movie deal at Netflix.
- Disney has donated $1 million of Black Panther profits to the Boys & Girls Clubs.
- This week in pop culture real estate: leave the poor people alone who happen to live in the Ladybird house.
- The director of the Heath Ledger documentary will now turn his camera to Paul Walker.
- If called to serve, William Sadler would be willing to return as Death in the new Bill & Ted sequel.
- Alex Garland says The Beach is getting a new adaptation.
- You can stay overnight at the Camp Crystal Lake filming location from Friday the 13th. I’m a hard no – not because I’m scared, but because I am not a camping kind of girl.
- The inventor of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos is getting a biopic.
- Fahrenheit 451:
- Wreck-It Ralph 2:
- Rest in Power: The Trayvon Martin Story:
- The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling:
- Flint Town:
- The Outsider:
- The Week Of:
- Roxanne Roxanne:
- Kasey Musgraves has a new album coming out.
- Janelle Monáe dropped two new music videos.
- Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman have a new R.E.M.-focused podcast.
- Michelle Obama’s memoir will drop in November.
- Marvel comics will be relaunching its superhero line.
- A new book tells the history of In Living Color.
- Michelle Wolf will deliver the keynote at the White House Correspondents Dinner.
- Steve Martin and Martin Short are doing a Netflix special together.
- Billy Eichner is getting a Netflix stand-up special too.
- Here’s the new song from the Frozen Broadway musical.
- David Mamet has written a play about Harvey Weinstein.
- Santino Fontana will appear in Broadway’s Hello, Dolly for a limited time.
- Brandon Victor Dixon will play Judas in NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live.
Odds and Ends
- The Weinstein Company will reportedly file for bankruptcy. Too bad, so sad.
- Donald Glover was interviewed by The New Yorker.
- In a new interview in GQ, Brendan Fraser opens up about his own story of sexual abuse in Hollywood.
- There is now a Game of Thrones tarot card set. I’m guessing the whole deck is Death cards.
- David Harbour danced with some penguins in the Antarctic.
- National Treasure Dolly Parton has sent 100 million books to children through her nonprofit.
- Ellen Degneres had a children’s hospital room dedicated in honor of Jimmy Kimmel’s son Billy.
- Heather Locklear arrested on domestic violence charges.
- A judge has thrown out the defamation lawsuit against John Oliver and HBO.
- Making a Murderer’s Brandon Dassey has requested the Supreme Court review his case.
- Director Kevin Smith suffered a massive heart attack.
- Emily Ratajkowski and Sebastian Bear-McClard got married.
- Queer Eye’s AJ got engaged to his partner Drey.
- Kim Kardashian West shares the first photo of baby Chicago.
- Actress and former Fox News commentator Stacey Dash is running for Congress.
- Alicia Silverstone and husband Christopher Jarecki have separated.
- Animator Bud Luckey passed away. He was 83.
- Singer Barbara Ann Alston, original lead singer of The Crystals, has died. She was 74.
- Director Lewis Gilbert has died. He was 97.
- Bollywood actress Sridevi drowned in her hotel bathtub.
- British actress Emma Chambers, perhaps best known stateside for Notting Hill, has died. She was 53.
- Actress Nanette Fabray has died. She was 97.
Mashups and Supercuts
- Watch Daveed Digg as a rapping carrot on Sesame Street: