Last night American Horror Story debuted their new season, Cult, and as always I tuned in. I have a weird relationship with the American Horror Story franchise – I enjoy the fact that each season has its own special batsh*t crazy vibe, but I usually lose interest in the mess that they have created somewhere around episode 6 when it becomes pretty clear that the series has once again gone off the rails and isn’t going to stick the landing. Yet every season they hit the reset button and faithfully I return, waiting to see what insanity they have up their sleeve.
This season is going to be a challenge for me, since creepy clowns featured pretty prominently in the pilot episode and I am no fan of clowns. One clown I can handle, but once you start introducing multiple clowns I start to get more and more anxious. Between AHS: Cult and the It remake both debuting , it is a banner week for the creepy clown industry. I have to say that I was a little bored with the AHS: Cult premiere; I’ll give it a few episodes, but I’m just not loving the post-election horror story so far. We’ll see how it plays out.
While I contemplate seeking treatment for coulrophobia, catch yourself up on the pop culture that you might have missed with this week’s roundup.
- I think Game of Thrones fans aren’t coping well with having to wait for the final season – they have turned on Hot Pie.
- True Detective season 3 is headed to the suddenly popular Ozarks.
- Damien Chazelle is bringing his musical series to Netflix.
- Chris Pine will play Robert F. Kennedy in a Hulu miniseries.
- Drew Barrymore is developing a female horror anthology series for the CW.
- Amazon has picked up James Gunn’s Starsky and Hutch reboot series.
- Fox has picked up a new sitcom from the It’s Always Sunny guys.
- Dulce Sloan joins The Daily Show as a correspondent.
- Uproxx ranks the feuds on The Sopranos.
- Get your popcorn ready – Terrell Owens will be on the next season of Dancing With The Stars.
- The Simpsons have parted ways with longtime composer Alf Clausen.
- Syfy has canceled Dark Matter.
- Greg Garcia is developing a comedy at CBS.
- John Cena will lend his voice to an animated series on YouTube Red.
- Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder are going to play love interests in the rom-com Destination Wedding.
- Colin Trevorrow is out as director for Star Wars: Episode IX.
- Paul Bettany is joining the Han Solo movie.
- Casey Affleck will star in an adaptation of John Williams’ novel Stoner.
- We’re getting our first look at Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury.
- Sylvester Stallone says that the sequel to Creed will start filming next year.
- Ben Affleck is in talks to direct Red Platoon.
- Ranking all of Marilyn Monroe’s movies.
- Hulu announced premiere dates for documentaries about Dana Carvey and Shepard Fairey.
- Sam Rockwell is in talks to play George W. Bush in Adam McKay’s Dick Cheney biopic.
- Could John Cena face off with The Rock in a DC movie?
- The Magic School Bus Rides Again:
- A Bad Moms Christmas:
- Long Shot:
- The Snowman:
- Mr. Robot, season 3:
- A new season of South Park:
- The Mindy Project, final season:
- Star Wars Rebels, season 4:
- Tin Star:
- Big Bang Theory, season 11:
- Friend Request:
- Lady Bird:
- Insidious: The Last Key:
- U2 performed a new song from their upcoming album.
- There is a ton of new music to look forward to in September.
- Vulture takes on the task of ranking all of JAY-Z’s songs.
- Chance the Rapper worked the grill at Nando’s Chicken for charity.
- Peter Dinklage was in a punk band. Yes, there are pictures.
- Lady Gaga had to cancel her show in Vancouver, so she sent some of her fans pizza.
- Sam Smith will debut a new single this week.
- St. Vincent announced a new album.
- Bjork announced a new single.
- Flavor Flav is suing Chuck D over royalties from the last Public Enemy album.
- Zayn Malik is completely bald now and people have some thoughts about it.
- The Hamilton cast recording has officially outsold the Rent soundtrack.
- Bernadette Peters will replace Bette Midler in Hello, Dolly!
- Phillipa Soo will return to Broadway in The Parisian Woman.
- Per his wishes, the unfinished work of late author Terry Pratchett was crushed by a steamroller.
- Jeff Dunham has a new Netflix special.
Odds and Ends
- Beyoncé will headline an all-star telethon for Hurricane Harvey.
- Why doesn’t Disney know what to do with The Muppets?
- Prince’s favorite color wasn’t purple and nothing means anything anymore.
- Robert Pattinson and Dustin Diamond used to be roommates. Wrap your head around that one.
- Drake Bell and Josh Peck have apparently squashed their beef.
- Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx were spotted holding hands and Twitter was pretty happy about it.
- Prince William and Kate Middleton are expecting their third child.
- Serena Williams and Alex Ohanian have welcomed a baby girl.
- Poet John Ashbery has passed away. He was 90.
- Actor Richard Anderson has died. He was 91.
- Walter Becker, co-founder of Steely Dan, has died. He was 67.
- Stand-up comic Shelly Berman, who played Larry’s dad on Curb Your Enthusiasm, has died. He was 92.
Mashups and Supercuts
- “Enter Sandman” in different genres:
- This supercut makes Jon Snow’s life an inspirational movie (spoilers):
- A Game of Thrones jam session:
- Game of Thrones characters get Tim Burton makeovers:
- Bart Simpson as Harry Potter:
- What if Game of Thrones took place in modern day?