So the day is finally here – today I turn 40 years old. And while I’m not yet having a full on mid-life crisis breakdown, this birthday has been harder on me than expected. Yes I know that age is just a number and turning a year older is a lot better than the alternative, but it does make you take stock of where you are in your life when you hit a milestone birthday. I’m generally pretty happy with my life, despite the fact that it bares very little resemblance to the life that I thought I’d have at this age. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. It makes a girl reflective and I occasionally fall into deep thought about the roads not traveled and the choices I made (or didn’t make) that led me to where I am today.
And then I remember that I’m going to see Adele tomorrow and I snap out of it.
When the handwriting was on the wall that no one was going to plan a party or a dinner or a big trip for my birthday, I took it upon myself to do so. So tomorrow I am off for three glorious days in New York City, which I am tremendously excited about. So there won’t be any new blog posts for the rest of the week. But I plan to come back with plenty of new content, so the radio silence will pay off in the long run. Hopefully this week’s pop culture roundup can tide you over until regular(ish) blogging resumes on Monday.
On to the roundup……
- Emmy ratings were an all-time low this year.
- Game of Thrones now has the most Emmys ever for a primetime TV show.
- FX proves that they are no dummies by renewing both Atlanta and Better Things.
- Bloodline will end after its third season.
- Showtime has canceled Roadies.
- CBS All Access has delayed the debut of Star Trek: Discovery.
- Maggie Smith has responded to Jimmy Kimmel’s jokes about her at the Emmys:
- Sarah Paulson got Marcia Clark’s name engraved on her Emmy.
- The premise of The Good Wife spinoff has been revealed.
- Adam Scott will play the Antichrist’s stepfather in Netflix’s Little Evil.
- Excellent news – Mary Elizabeth Winstead has joined the cast of Fargo season three. So has Scoot McNairy.
- Tony Shalhoub will play another socially awkward genius for an Amazon pilot.
- Coach and Mrs. Taylor reunited at the Emmys, y’all #relationshipgoals #texasforever:
- An oral history of the G.I. Joe cartoon.
- Angela Bassett will appear in the second season of Master Of None.
- Chef Massimo Bottura will guest star on the second season of Master of None.
- There will be a Dr. Ken/Shark Tank crossover episode.
- Parks and Rec‘s Jean-Ralphio meets Stranger Things‘ Steve:
- Uproxx attempts to rank the best Peak TV-Era opening credits.
- Alex Gansa, Homeland’s showrunner, eyes an 8 season run for the series.
- The Daily Show will air live episodes after the Presidential and Vice-Presidential debates.
- John Stamos will produce a drama that is described as “Boogie Nights in the soap opera world.”
- Sylvester Stallone is developing a TV comedy called Pizza Guy.
- Sofia Vergara is the world’s highest-paid TV actress for the 5th year in a row.
- NBC is developing a space comedy with Scrubs/Cougar Town creator Bill Lawrence.
- Nexflix’s Lost in Space remake has added three people to the cast.
- At Nickelodeon Hotels & Resorts in Punta Cana you can stay in a villa that is a replica of SpongeBob Squarepants‘ house.
- Seeso has renewed Flowers for a second season.
- Norm Macdonald tells Howard Stern the story behind SNL’s “Celebrity Jeopardy” sketches.
- A.V. Club asks Tim “Make it Work” Gunn 11 questions.
- Here’s what coming to and leaving Hulu in October.
- Hulu is close to a series order for the 9/11 drama series The Looming Tower.
- Suits’ Gina Torres to appear in the second season of The Catch.
- John Krasinski will star in Kathryn Bigelow’s drama about the Detroit riots.
- Rob Lowe has joined the cast of Super Troopers 2.
- La La Land won the audience prize at the Toronto Film Festival. Can’t wait to see it!
- Chloe Grace Moretz has dropped out of the live-action Little Mermaid. She’s put the rest of her films on hold as well.
- Jamie Dornan is in final talks to join Robin Hood: Origins.
- Pool you money Potter-heads; the Dursley family home from Harry Potter is for sale.
- Margot Robbie will produce a Harley Quinn spinoff movie.
- Paul Walker’s character may return for Fast and Furious sequels.
- Netflix has picked up to the rights to Barry, a biopic about President Obama’s college years.
- Pacific Rim 2 has cast newcomer Cailee Spaeny as the female lead.
- Jared Leto will play Andy Warhol in an upcoming biopic.
- Eva Green will star in Roman Polanski’s next film.
- Charlie Sheen will appear in a movie for Crackle.
- Contract negotiations on Mission Impossible 6 have apparently been resolved. Tom Cruise is back in.
- Jason Clarke joins Helen Mirren in movie about the Winchester Mystery House (which I have visited and am kind of obsessed with).
- Peter Berg wants to do a sequel to The Rundown with The Rock and Jonah Hill.
- Mashable looks at the top 10 best movie twists of all time. *spoilers, duh*
- Jackie Earle Haley joined the cast of Alita: Battle Angel.
- Nocturnal Animals:
- Crisis in Six Scenes:
- Supergirl, season 2:
- The Free World:
- Annabelle 2:
- Ordinary World:
- The Bye Bye Man:
- Flock of Dudes:
- The Grand Tour:
- Lady Gaga is officially the Super Bowl halftime show headliner.
- DNCE is releasing their debut album, which I kind of already assumed that they had done.
- Justin Timberlake said he would “absolutely” collaborate with Britney Spears.
- Aphex Twin will play its first U.S. show since 2008.
- Corey Feldman did…..something……on the Today Show:
- Red Hot Chili Pepper announced 2017 tour dates.
- Kanye West is now on Instagram. I can’t wait to see what madness this brings.
- GQ interviewed Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- The Groundhog Day musical is slated to make its Broadway debut in April 2017.
- Something Rotten will end its Broadway run in January.
- Tony-winning play The Humans will also end in January.
- Matthew Weiner’s debut novel has a fantastic name – Heather, the Totality.
Odds and Ends
- Denzel Washington is not amused by the “Uncle Denzel” memes.
- Bill Murray was a barkeep at his son’s Brooklyn bar.
- Ryan Seacrest and Adriana Lima are apparently a couple.
- Nick Cannon and Chilli from TLC are reportedly an item.
- Pixies guitarist Joey Santiago has checked into rehab.
- Game of Thrones siblings Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner got matching tattoos.
- Sunday was declared “Judge John Hodgman Day” in Boston.
- Taylor Swift donated $50,000 to Louisiana public schools for flood recovery.
- Nick Gordon has been found guilty in the Bobbi Kristina Brown wrongful death lawsuit.
- There is a petition to get Steve Irwin on Australian currency.
- Sherlock’s Amanda Abbington says her purse was stolen at the Emmys. If only she knew a detective….
- Jim Carey has been sued over his late girlfriend’s drug overdose.
- Anthony Bourdain and wife Ottaia Busia are calling it quits.
- RIP Brangelina.
- Clay Martin Croker, Adult Swim animator and voice actor, died.
- Actress Kim McGuire, best known as “Hatchet-Face” in Cry-Baby, has died. She was 60.
- Playwright Edward Albee has also died.
- Charmian Carr, who was Liesl in The Sound of Music, has passed away.
Mashups and Supercuts
- A campus tour video for Xavier’s School for the Gifted:
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail recut as an intense drama:
- The Narcos intro recreated with dogs:
- Dolly Parton and Pentatonix cover “Jolene”:
- A heavy metal version of “Everything is Awesome”:
- How to speak Fargo:
- An economic analysis of Homer Simpson:
- And finally, Deadpool meets Spider-Man in this mash-up: