Somehow I am sick again – or sick still. I can’t really tell anymore. I feel like I have been coughing and sneezing non-stop for weeks now. I’m healthy enough to be functional and go about my daily life, but sick enough that I generally feel “meh” about doing much of anything. I was looking forward to spending last weekend hitting up the cinema and catching up on some of the movies that I’ve missed, but instead I spent almost the entire weekend sleeping or trying to will myself to get out of bed or off the couch. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. The day that I’m not sniffling or downing cough drops like candy will be a happy day indeed.
So while I look into getting an IV drip of vitamin C, catch yourself up on all the pop culture that you might have missed with this week’s roundup.
- Today in obvious news: Stranger Things is officially getting a third season. Netflix ain’t stupid.
- Netflix has also picked up Mindhunter for a second season.
- House of Cards will return for an eight-episode, Spacey-less final season.
- Netflix has canceled Haters Back Off.
- Danny Masterson has been fired from Netflix’s The Ranch as he stand accused of four rapes.
- This is potentially worrisome – Bryan Fuller and Michael Green have quit as showrunners on American Gods.
- Conon O’Brien will executive produce an Obama/Biden time-traveling buddy comedy animated series that I will 100% watch.
- There’s a new Game of Thrones theory making the rounds.
- Black Mirror season 4 will debut December 29.
- Netflix has given a two-season, straight-to-series order to the Riverdale spin-off about Sabrina the teenage witch.
- The remaining cast of Netflix’s Umbrella Academy has been rounded out.
- Johnny Galecki will return as David for the Roseanne revival.
- Said Taghmaoui has abruptly left the cast of Legion.
- Aaron Sorkin has a vision for a West Wing reboot starring Sterling K. Brown that I’m here for.
- CBS All Access is doing a psychological thriller series based on fairy tales with Kevin Williamson
- Catherine Keener will have a recurring role on the Fred Armisen/Maya Rudolph Amazon series.
- Ken Jeong and David Alan Grier have joined the cast of A Christmas Story Live!
- HBO passed on the Lord of the Rings TV series that Amazon picked up.
- Alice Eve joins the cast for the second season of Iron Fist.
- Fox has ordered more episodes of Ghosted, but may reframe the show as a workplace comedy.
- Showtime has given SMILF a second season.
- Westworld and other shows have been forced to shut down production due to the wildfires in California.
- Danneel Ackles will have a recurring role on Supernatural.
- Netflix is developing a Choose Your Own Adventure show for adults.
- Will Smith will host Darren Aronofsky’s Nat Geo series One Strange Rock.
- Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune will be added to the Broadcasting Hall of Fame.
- The documentary I Am Sam Kinison will air on Spike TV later this month.
- Bryan Singer has been fired as director from the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody.
- Quentin Tarantino’s next movie has a release date – August 9, 2019. *sets countdown timer*
- Tarantino and J.J. Abrams are teaming up to pitch a new Star Trek movie.
- Chinese actress Liu Yifei will play the lead in Disney’s live-action Mulan.
- Cameron Britton, who was fantastic in Mindhunter, has joined the cast of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo sequel. Swedish actor Sverrir Gudnason will play Daniel Craig’s role.
- Margot Robbie is developing her own Harley Quinn movie – not to be confused with all the other potential movies featuring the character.
- A Baby Driver sequel is in the works.
- John Travolta’s Gotti biopic pulled 10 days from its scheduled release.
- James Franco to play Shel Silverstein in an upcoming biopic.
- Speaking of Franco, Vulture ranks his performances.
- The Frozen short is being removed from screenings of Coco.
- Hugh Jackman could have been James Bond.
- Misha Green, co-creator of Underground (R.I.P.), will write and produce a Cleopatra Jones remake.
- The Hellboy reboot with David Harbour will be released in 2019.
- Hank Azaria has responded to the documentary The Problem with Apu.
- Michael Moore’s sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11 is in jeopardy due to the ongoing issues at The Weinstein Company.
- Stranger Things’ Sadie Sink joins the cast of the horror movie Eli.
- The lineup for the 2018 Sundance film festival has been announced.
- Netflix will debut a Gloria Allred documentary in 2018.
- Kathryn Newton to star in a live-action Pokémon movie.
- Gremlins is returning to theaters this month.
- The Masters of the Universe reboot has found a new director.
- Lady Gaga will be credited as Stefani Germanotta in the A Star is Born remake.
- Teaser for Jurassic Word: Fallen Kingdom:
- New trailer for season 4 of Black Mirror:
- HBO/The Ringer’s Andre the Giant Documentary:
- You Were Never Really Here:
- Good Girls:
- Here and Now:
- A teaser trailer for HBO’s Barry:
- Amazon’s Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan:
- Black Lightning:
- Altered Carbon:
- Midnight Sun:
- Beyoncé and Ed Sheeran released a duet.
- Jay Z reveals he and Beyoncé were working on a joint album, but she went with Lemonade instead (good choice).
- Honestly, Jay Z was quite the chatty Kathy in general with The New York Times.
- Kelly Clarkson dropped by Carpool Karaoke:
- Armie Hammer is headed to Broadway.
- Jenny Slate is writing a book of feminist essays and fables.
- John Green’s Turtles All the Way Down will get a movie adaptation.
- Marvel is getting into the podcast game with Wolverine: The Long Night.
- Vulture rounds up the 10 best podcasts of 2017.
Odds and Ends
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson somehow didn’t have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. That is about to be rectified.
- This week in sexual assault/harassment allegations: Israel Horovitz, Geoffrey Rush, James Levine, Robert Knepper, Peter Martins, and Melanie Martinez.
- John Oliver grilled Dustin Hoffman about allegations made against him.
- John Mayer was admitted to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy.
- Blake Lively was injured on the set of The Rhythm Section.
- Kristen Bell will host the SAG Awards.
- Scarlett Johansson and Colin Jost have taken their relationship public.
- Kaley Cuoco and Karl Cook have gotten engaged.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda and wife Vanessa Nadal are expecting their second child.
- Melissa Rauch and husband Winston Beigel welcomed a baby girl.
- Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo and husband Larry are calling it quits.
- Chris Pratt has officially filed for divorce from Anna Faris.
- Actor Jim Nabors has died. He was 87.
Mashups and Supercuts
- Cookie Monster channels his inner Busta Rhymes:
- Chris Pratt and Chris Stapleton sing “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life”:
- The Tonight Show brings you “Robert Mueller’s Comin’ to Town”:
- A mashup of 2017 movie trailers (I have missed A LOT):