Summer is officially here! To all my friends that are teachers – your watch has ended. To my friends that are parents – your watch has begun. This is shaping up to be a weird summer for me since I don’t have much of anything on the calendar. I already took a quick vacation and my summertime commitments are pretty limited. So really, all that summer means to me is time to catch up television, which is alright by me.
Speaking of catching up, this new edition of the roundup is your chance to get up to speed on all pop culture that you may have missed. It’s the longest day of the year, so you have time!
- Jon Snow’s real name may have accidentally been revealed.
- Star Trek: Discovery will split its first season and will debut September 24th.
- Damon Lindelof is developing a Watchmen TV series for HBO.
- Martin Freeman is adapting Paradise Lost as a modern TV series.
- David Fincher’s Mindhunter series has a release date on Netflix.
- NBC has set its fall premiere dates.
- Glenn Close will play a zombie in George Saunders’ Amazon comedy pilot.
- Tony Danza to star in the Netflix dramedy The Good Cop.
- T.I. has been cast in Fox’s drama Atlanta’s Most Wanted.
- Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are working on a series about Dracula.
- The DuckTales reboot has an updated theme song.
- Sorry to confirm bad news, but Barb won’t return to Stranger Things.
- Bill Nye Saves The World renewed on Netflix.
- You can watch Adam West’s unaired episode of Powerless on YouTube.
- Some props and costumes from Community are being auctioned off.
- The CW is trying for another Supernatural spin-off.
- Last Man Standing will not find a new home at CMT.
- The John Wick TV series will focus on the chain of hotels where assassins stay.
- Summertime means one thing – a new cast for Big Brother.
- Aisha Taylor is leaving The Talk.
- Michael Phelps will race a great white shark during Discovery Channel’s Shark Week.
- Here are the TCA Awards nominees.
- NeNe Leakes is returning to Real Housewives of Atlanta.
- SpongeBob SquarePants will do a stop-motion episode for Halloween.
- Ranking the clones on Orphan Black.
- Paul Shaffer returned to The Late Show.
- Filming will resume on Bachelor in Paradise after an investigation in allegations of misconduct.
- Here’s what’s coming and going to Amazon Prime in July. And Hulu. And Netflix.
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller out as directors of Han Solo. Ron Howard is rumored to be taking over.
- The Dark Tower movie is a continuation of the book series.
- Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring from acting.
- Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively in talks for Paul Feig’s adaptation of A Simple Favor.
- Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart’s remake of The Intouchables will hit theaters March 2018.
- Jack Black to star in Eli Roth’s adaptation of The House With A Clock In Its Walls.
- The Nightcrawler team is reuniting to work on a new mystery project.
- The Mummy will lose an estimated $95 million.
- Lucy Liu joined the Netflix comedy feature Set It Up.
- Oona Chaplin has joined the cast of the Avatar sequels.
- Mark Wahlberg says that he’s done with the Transformers franchise.
- The Twilight Zone movie has found a writer.
- David Mamet is in talks to write an adaptation of Don Winslow’s The Force.
- Judy Greer joined the cast of Richard Linklater’s comedy-drama Where’d You Go, Bernadette.
- A sequel to Book of Life has been announced.
- Kyle Chandler and Corey Stoll to star in Damien Chazelle’s First Man. Ryan Gosling will also star.
- Neither Jada Pinkett Smith nor 50 Cent were fans of the Tupac biopic, All Eyez On Me.
- Moana is now on Netflix.
- Emily Ratajkowski joins the cast of I Feel Pretty.
- Michael Bay has an idea for a sequel to The Rock.
- Pitch Perfect 3:
- Goodbye Christopher Robin:
- Netflix’s Atypical:
- Transparent, season 4:
- Thank You For Your Service:
- Daddy’s Home 2:
- Happy Death Day:
- The Trip to Spain:
- Annabelle Creation:
- Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press:
- Brigsby Bear:
- American Assassins:
- Friends From College:
- Jay Z is dropping a new Tidal exclusive album on June 30th.
- Jay Z, formerly known as Jay-Z, is now going by JAY-Z.
- The Grammys will allow members to vote online.
- Lorde announced North American tour dates.
- Shania Twain announced a new album and released a new single.
- Bruce Springsteen will play a series of concerts on Broadway.
- A new LCD Soundsystem album will be released in September.
- St. Vincent announced a tour.
- Foo Fighters announced a new album, a new tour, and their own festival.
- Dave Grohl’s eight-year-old daughter Harper played drums with the Foo Fighters in Iceland.
- The Killers released their first new single since 2012.
- Queens of the Stone Age released a new song.
- Gene Simmons is trying to trademark the devil horns hand gesture.
- Danny Elfman will do the music for Justice League.
- Yoko Ono will get a songwriting credit on “Imagine.”
- Judd Apatow will have a stand-up special on Netflix later this year.
- Natasha Leggero and Moshe Kasher are going out on The Endless Honeymoon Tour.
- Iliza Schlesinger said some stuff about other female comics and it did not go over well.
- A John Wick comic book will explore his origin.
- John Carpenter is writing a Big Trouble in Little China comic book series.
- Indecent will close on Broadway.
- Amy Schumer is in talks to star in Steve Martin’s new Broadway play.
- Ingrid Michaelson will make her Broadway debut in The Great Comet.
- Bob’s Burgers’ Eugene Mirman is launching a podcast.
Odds and Ends
- Beyoncé may have given birth to twins.
- Mahershala Ali was profiled in GQ.
- Yaron Versoano, Gal Gadot’s husband, wore the perfect shirt.
- Scarlet Johansson and her grandma doppelganger hung out at the premiere of Rough Night.
- Mattel has unveiled a new line of more diverse Ken dolls.
- A year after his wife’s sudden death, Patton Oswalt appeared on the red carpet with actress Meredith Salenger.
- Josh Peck married his girlfriend Paige O’Brien over the weekend, but the real news is that he didn’t invite his Drake & Josh co-star Drake Bell to the wedding. Feelings were hurt, things were said.
- Rebel Wilson won a defamation suit against a magazine publisher.
- Miles Teller was allegedly arrested for public intoxication.
- An autopsy found heroin and cocaine in Carrie Fisher’s system at her time of death.
- Director John G. Avildsen (Rocky, The Karate Kid) passed away. He was 81.
- Actor Stephen Furst, Animal House’s Flounder, has died.
- Rapper Prodigy, half of Mobb Depp, has died. He was 42.
Mashups and Supercuts
- An orchestra covered Daft Punk’s ”Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger”:
- A vintage cover of “Say It Ain’t So”:
- Lightening McQueen gets a 30 for 30 short:
- Game of Thrones characters sing “I Will Survive”: