As I’m sure you’ve heard over the past few weeks from anyone who lives in the Northeast, it’s been pretty freaking cold here. Like, potentially hell has frozen over cold. I almost exclusively wear dresses to at work and I’ve had to cave to the temperatures by wearing pants more in the past week than I have in perhaps the last five years combined. It’s been brutal. But the funny thing about it being so cold for so long is that everyone’s perspective has totally changed. I walked outside yesterday morning and it felt glorious; I didn’t even bother with a hat or gloves and all seemed right with the world.
It was only 30 degrees.
This Friday there is supposed to be a high of 50 and I guarantee you that it’s going to feel like a tropical vacation. Who cares if it rains all day – it’s not snowing and the air won’t hurt my face. That now qualifies as a win.
So while I contemplate whether it’s time to break out my sundresses again (it’s not), get yourself caught up on all the pop culture that you may have missed with this week’s roundup.
- Sigh…it’s officially official: no Game of Thrones until 2019.
- Someone somehow outbid Brad Pitt for the opportunity to witch Game of Thrones with Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington.
- SyFy has ordered George R.R. Martin’s Nightflyers to series.
- Atlanta and The Americans will both return in March.
- X-Files will not continue without Gillian Anderson.
- Gillian Anderson will also not be back for another season of American Gods.
- David Letterman’s Netflix show debuts January 12. His first guest – Barack Obama.
- FX is expecting to bring back Fargo for a 4th season…..in 2019.
- FX gave a full season order to Mayans MC.
- Season 12 of The Big Bang Theory will probably be its last.
- Ryan Murphy could take his shows and go home (or at least elsewhere) after the Fox/Disney merger.
- Netflix’s Nurse Ratched series will feature Jack Nicholson’s character from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
- American Horror Story will take place in the future next season.
- Season two of Legion will also feature a time jump.
- An Animaniacs reboot is coming to Hulu.
- Sterling K. Brown will guest star on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- Kiernan Shipka will play the titular role in Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
- ABC has cancelled The Mayor.
- Later this month ABC will air the pilot for the failed Goldbergs spin-off as a regular episode.
- Not a shock – CBS is giving Young Sheldon a second season.
- Hulu has greenlit a monthly horror anthology series.
- Reese Witherspoon and Octavia Spencer to star in the Apple series Are You Sleeping.
- It might be a while before new episodes of Rick and Morty.
- Robbie Amell will star in Greg Daniels’ comedy pilot for Amazon.
- Rosario Dawson will make an appearance on Jane the Virgin.
- This is kind of perfect – Helena Bonham Carter in talks to play Princess Margaret on The Crown.
- The final season of New Girl will premiere in April.
- A Flight of the Conchords special is in development at HBO.
- A Scandal/How To Get Away With Murder crossover episode is happening.
- Fox has renewed The Gifted.
- Hulu has renewed Runaways and Future Man.
- Frank Langella will be a series regular on Kidding.
- Showtime says that “the door is always open” for more Twin Peaks.
- Stephen Dorff will play Mahershala Ali’s partner on the third season of True Detective
- The Daily Show and The Opposition will air live episodes for Trump’s State of the Union address.
- TBS has scrapped Louis C.K.’s animated series The Cops.
- David Duchovny says he was almost on Full House, which would have been interesting.
- Lost will now be available on Hulu after leaving Netflix.
- Uproxx ranks Ted Danson’s best bow ties from The Good Place *spoilers*
- The CW announced premiere dates for iZombie and other series.
- Showtime shares premiere dates for The Affair, Billions, and I’m Dying Up Here.
- ABC has renewed The Gong Show.
- The second season of The Orville will be at least 14 episodes.
- Mark Halperin will no longer be a co-host on Showtime’s The Circus.
- Ed Westwick to be replaced in the BBC mini-series Ordeal of Innocence.
- ABC has cancelled its 50th anniversary tribute to Rolling Stone amid sexual assault and harassment accusations against Jann Wenner.
- Millie Bobby Brown to produce and star in a series of films based on the Enola Holmes Mysteries by Nancy Springer
- Lakeith Stanfield joins the cast of The Girl in the Spider’s Web.
- Netflix’s sequel to Bright will be happening without screenwriter Max Landis.
- A Kitty Pryde solo movie is reportedly in development.
- The zombie Christmas musical Anna and the Apocalypse will arrive in 2018.
- DeWanda Wise will appear in Captain Marvel.
- Ridley Scott may direct one of Disney’s Merlin movies.
- Michelle Williams was reportedly paid less than 1% of what Mark Wahlberg received for the reshoots of All the Money in the World.
- Should he be needed, Ewan McGregor is down to play Obi-Wan Kenobi again.
- Brooklynn Prince to star in the thriller The Turning.
- Russell Crowe and Dakota Johnson have joined the cast of Drew Goddard’s new movie.
- Director Barry Jenkins drunkenly live-tweeted watching Notting Hill over someone else’s shoulder on a plane.
- Planet Earth II is now on Netflix.
- Method Man joins the cast of the Shaft reboot.
- Despite allegations of sexual assault, Deadpool 2 has no plans to recast T.J. Miller.
- Get Out has inspired a college course.
- Black Panther:
- Patrick Melrose:
- Our Cartoon President:
- Game Over, Man!:
- Red Sparrow:
- Truth or Dare:
- Atlanta, season 2:
- The Strangers: Prey at Night:
- One Day at a Time, season 2:
The Night Sitter:
- Kickboxer: Retaliation:
- Kendrick Lamar is producing the Black Panther soundtrack. The first single has been released and it is
- Bruno Mars and Cardi B dropped a video for “Finesse.”
- Justin Timberlake has a video for his new song “Filthy.” He’s also announced a tour.
- Pink will sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl.
- Jay Z’s “Family Feud” video is now available to non-Tidal subscribers:
- The Grammys will include performances by Pink, Lady Gaga, Childish Gambino, and Broadway stars.
- Titus Andronicus (not to be confused with Titus Andromedon) will release a new album.
- The Bonnarro lineup has been revealed.
- Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats have a new album.
- Rita Ora appeared in all the terrible Fifty Shades movies and finally got a song on a soundtrack.
- Jimmy Iovine is reportedly leaving Apple Music.
- The Breeders are back with a new album.
- Albums to be excited about in 2018.
- The Attack the Block soundtrack is getting a vinyl release.
- Radiohead has sued Lana Del Rey for copyright infringement.
- Sarah Bareilles will portray Mary Magdalene in NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live!.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda changed three Hamilton lyrics for its run in London.
- Sutton Foster, Gavin Creel, and others will reunite for a Thoroughly Modern Millie concert.
- The national tour for the Groundhog’s Day musical has been cancelled.
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee moved to Netflix.
- Laurie Kilmartin’s new book will be out next month.
- Here are the 2018 WGA nominees.
- The Producers Guild nominees were announced.
- Here are the 2018 Golden Globe winners.
- Oprah’s Golden Globes speech got a lot of attention.
- Here’s what Tommy Wiseau wanted to say at the Globes.
- Significant Golden Globes moment – Steve Carell and Kelly Clarkson have finally met.
- Olivia Munn will host the Critics’ Choice Awards.
- Cate Blanchett will lead the jury at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.
- Here are the BAFTA nominees.
Odds and Ends
- This week in sexual assault/harassment/misconduct allegations: Dan Harmon, Ben Vereen, Paul Haggis, James Franco, Stan Lee.
- The Weinstein Company may soon be sold.
- Kit Harington was thrown out of a Manhattan bar.
- There is a Game of Thrones-themed Settlers of Catan game.
- Lena Dunham and Jack Antonoff have split up.
- Caitriona Balfe is engaged to Tony McGill.
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Brad Falchuk are engaged.
- Ellen Page and Emma Portner are married.
- Real-life GLOW wrestler Mountain Fiji (Emily Dole) has died. She was 60.
- Actor Jerry Van Dyke, brother of Dick, has died. He was 86.
Mashups and Supercuts
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit” in a major key:
- Sally Hawkins and James Corden parody The Shape of Water:
- Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep play each other’s famous roles:
- Arnold Schwarznegger saying the same line in different movies:
- SpongeBob and company do a little Dr. Dre: