Today is Pi Day (March 14 = 3.14), though since I’ve lost the ability to keep track of the date I am unprepared to celebrate today. I’m actually not a huge pie fan – there are some pies that I like but it isn’t my go to dessert – though perhaps I can swing by a restaurant this evening to get a slice to go. I hate to miss out on food related celebrations. Had I been in NYC today, I would have grabbed a slice of crack pie from Milk Bar, which is probably my all-time favorite (key lime and pumpkin are close seconds). Now I’ve made myself hungry.
Also pretty tasty – this week’s pop culture roundup. So get yourself caught up on all the pop culture that you may have missed in the last week – and feel free to have a slice of pie while doing so.
- Michelle and Barack Obama (you may have heard of them) are in talks to collaborate with Netflix.
- Claire Foy made less than Matt Smith on both seasons of The Crown. Like I didn’t hate Prince Philip enough already.
- Wyatt Cenac’s HBO series debuts in April.
- ABC shelved an episode of Black-ish over “creative differences.”
- ABC has renewed The Good Doctor.
- Christopher Abbott will star in Hulu’s Catch-22 series from George Clooney.
- Nicole Kidman and David E. Kelly are developing an adaptation of You Should Have Known for HBO.
- Reese Witherspoon’s adaptation of Little Fires Everywhere has received a series order from Hulu.
- The classic “Who Shot Mr. Burns?” episode of The Simpsons almost had a different perpetrator.
- The Silicon Valley team spills some tea on why T.J. Miller really left the show.
- Vincent Kartheiser joins the cast of a legal drama pilot from Danny Strong.
- FX has ordered a thriller pilot from Alex Garland.
- Transparent probably won’t return until 2019.
- Dax Shepard and Lake Bell to star in a Fox comedy pilot.
- USA has picked up a Suits spin-off with Gina Torres.
- Netflix has ordered 10 episodes of Norm Macdonald Has a Show.
- Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth are developing a show for CBS based on Beverly Hills, 90210.
- There’s a conspiracy theory about Toby from The Office.
- Apple has ordered an animated musical comedy from the creator of Bob’s Burgers.
- Bronson Pinchot joins the cast of the Sabrina The Teenage Witch Netflix series.
- A Home Improvement reboot has allegedly been considered.
- Showtime has ordered seven more episodes of Our Cartoon President.
- TNT has cancelled The Librarians.
- Jane the Virgin may endafter season 5.
- Black Panther 2 is officially happening.
- David Chase is working on a Sopranos prequel movie.
- Margot Robbie is in talks to play Sharon Tate in the new Quentin Tarantino film.
- Barry Jenkins finally got to read his Moonlight Best Picture acceptance speech out loud
- Mackenzie Davis to star in the upcoming Terminator reboot.
- Elizabeth Banks and James Gunn to reunite for a new horror movie.
- John Malkovich and Matalia Dyer to join Jake Gyllenhall in an art world thriller.
- Pitbull to star in Robert Rodriguez’s Uglydolls movie. Mr.Worldwide will also contribute a song.
- This week in pop culture real estate: the Stratford sisters’ house from 10 Things I Hate About You is on the market.
- Nic Cage finally gets to live his dream of playing Superman in the Teen Titans GO! To the Movies.
- Jerrod Carmichael is producing a documentary based on Dapper Dan’s upcoming memoir.
- Madonna is directing a ballerina biopic.
- Netflix has also inked a deal with comic book creator Rob Liefeld for the rights to his Extreme Universe brand.
- Dave Franco and Abbi Jacobson get to play it straight in the drama 6 Balloons.
- John Travolta’s Gotti movie will finally get out of movie purgatory.
- Benji the dog returns in a new Netflix movie.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald:
- Santa Clarita Diet, season 2:
- The documentary RBG, which I will watch multiple times:
- Your new favorite show, Making It:
- A Series of Unfortunate Events, season 2:
- The Handmaid’s Tale, season 2:
- Eight Grade:
- The Grinch:
- The final season of The Americans:
- Andre the Giant:
- Sorry to Bother You:
- Game Over, Man!:
- The Outlaw Johnny Black:
- Show Dogs:
- The rumored Beyoncé/Jay Z “On the Run II” tour has been officially announced.
- Pearl Jam dropped a new protest song, “Can’t Deny Me.”
- Beach House’s new album drops in May – and they are going on tour.
- Eminem’s iHeartRadio Music Awards performance took aim at the NRA.
- Taylor Swift released a new music video.
- Rolling Stone profiled Jack White.
- Rolling Stone also has an interview with Meek Mills from prison.
- Hear Stranger Things’ Finn Wolhard sing on his band Calpurnia’s debut single.
- Meshell Ndegeocello has released a new album of covers.
- Violent Femmes are going on a summer tour.
- Billy Corgan says the first of two new Smashing Pumpkins EPs will be released in May.
- Neil Young is releasing a new album of music from the film he’s starring in.
- The final run of the Warped Tour will be filmed for a series.
- Zooey Deshanel to play Belle in a Beauty and the Beast live concert.
- Joy Mangano’s life will be turned into a Broadway musical. Jennifer Lawrence portrayed her in the film Joy.
- Laura Benanti and Jason Jones to host the Lucille Lortel Awards, which recognize performances off-Broadway.
- Kathy Griffin in headed out on tour.
Odds and Ends
- The production companies of Michael B. Jordan, Paul Feig, and Matt Damon and Ben Affleck will add inclusion riders to future deals.
- The Duffer brothers are accused of verbally abusing a woman on the set of Stranger Things.
- A producer on Wolf of Wall Street has been ordered to pay $60 million in a corruption case.
- Gary Oldman’s son disputes the domestic abuse allegations made against the actor by his mother.
- Actress Taylor Hickson sues over facial disfigurement on the set of Ghostland.
- Metallica is getting in on the Whiskey business. Fun fact – if you want to piss off St. Patrick’s Day revelers, call “Whiskey in the Jar” a Metallica song.
- Bachelor Arie Luyendyk, Jr. may be banned from Minnesota.
- Tim McGraw collapsed on stage in Ireland.
- Colin Firth’s wife, Livia Giuggioli, had a relationship with the couple’s alleged stalker.
- Zayn Malik and Gigi Hadid have called it quits after two years of dating.
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend’s dog Puddy has passed away.
- Rapper Craig Mack has died. He was 46.
- Couturier designer Hubert de Givenchy has died. He was 91.
- Theoretical physicist (and occasional pop culture guest star) Stephen Hawking has passed away. He was 76.
Mashups and Supercuts
- Tommy Wiseau auditions to play the Joker:
- A bad lip reading of Star Wars: