I have returned from my quick little getaway and reality was absolutely waiting for me when I did. I was only out of the office for three days, but that was apparently enough time for people to save up all their crazy until I got back. I had a pounding headache within two hours of being back in the office. At least this makes me appreciate my vacation all the more – I had five basically uninterrupted days of minimal responsibility. I really should take days off more often.
Because I just got back, this week’s pop culture roundup might not be as comprehensive as other weeks. I’m still catching up on things, so there may be some things that I missed. I think I hit all the high notes, though, so you shouldn’t feel too deprived. You’re still getting your money’s worth 🙂
- The Roseanne revival will pretend the series finale never happened. If they could forget everything that happened after they won the lottery that would be great.
- Bobby Moynihan, Vanessa Bayer, and Sasheer Zamata are all exiting SNL.
- SpongeBob SquarePants has been renewed through 2019.
- Snoop Dogg will host a new version of the game show The Joker’s Wild.
- For better or worse, Arrested Development season 5 is officially a go at Netflix.
- NBC renewed Trial & Error.
- Chicago Justice is canceled after one season.
- Amazon orders a Hanna adaptation straight to series.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda will voice Gizmoduck in the DuckTales reboot.
- Conan O’Brien signs a four-year deal with TBS.
- The Black-ish spinoff gets a new title and a 13-episode order at Freeform.
- Stephen Colbert has officially dethroned Jimmy Fallon as late-night king.
- HBO and Jon Stewart have canceled their animated shorts project.
- Dennis Quaid to play George W. Bush in Katrina: American Crime Story.
- Elizabeth Moss will produce and star in an adaptation of the novel Fever.
- TNT is making a Snowpiercer pilot with Daveed Diggs.
- How much would Dev’s summer in Italy from Master of None cost?
- ABC has ordered a live sitcom special from Jimmy Kimmel and Justin Theroux.
- Comedy Central has extended The President Show through the summer.
- Showtime has released the pilot for I’m Dying Up Here early.
- Supernatural is doing a Scooby-Doo crossover episode.
- HBO renews Animals.
- Fox is trying to find a new home for the cancelled series Last Man Standing.
- CNN renews United Shades of America.
- Season four of Black Mirror will feature a story conceived by Penn Jillette.
- Nick Carter and Emma “Baby Spice” Bunton will be judges on ABC’s Boy Band.
- Leslie Jones will host this year’s BET Awards.
- Here’s what is coming and going from Netflix in June. And Hulu.
- Netflix will produce The Witcher TV series.
- Tom Cruise says that Top Gun 2 is happening.
- Tom Hardy will star in the Venom movie.
- Mel Brooks is in talks with MGM for Spaceballs 2.
- It looks like the Twitter-inspired collaboration of Rihanna, Lupita Nyong’o, and Ava DuVernay is actually happening.
- The Charlie’s Angels reboot will hit theaters the summer of 2019.
- Kevin Smith sent out golden tickets to fans for roles in the upcoming Jay and Silent Bob reboot.
- Jordan Peele’s next movie will arrive March 2019.
- Willem Dafoe will play Vincent van Gogh in a new biopic.
- Jessica Chastain is set to play Ingrid Bergman.
- Jesse Eisenberg will play Marcel Marceau.
- Matt Walsh will star in a rom-com.
- Angela Bassett will play the CIA chief in Mission: Impossible 6.
- After his daughter’s death, Zack Snyder is stepping down from directing Justice League.
- Michael Moore is working on a Trump documentary, Fahrenheit 11/9.
- Mamma Mia! Is getting a sequel. Meryl Streep is set to return.
- Neill Blomkamp is making a new series of experimental short films.
- Tom Holland lands the lead in the film adaptation of the Uncharted video game series.
- Sandra Bullock has joined the cast of Cash Truck.
- Leslie Mann and Janelle Monae have joined Steve Carell in Robert Zemeckis’ next movie.
- Mackenzie Davis to star in a new sci-fi thriller.
- The Glass Castle:
- Spider-Man: Homecoming:
- The House:
- The Mummy:
- How To Talk To Girls At Parties:
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets:
- Casual, season 3:
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance:
- Tour De Pharmacy:
- Friends From College:
- Logan Noir:
- F Is For Family, season 2:
- Can’t Stop Won’t Stop:
- Orphan Black, final season:
- Good Time:
- The Emoji Movie:
- Austin Found:
- Despicable Me 3:
- The Wedding Party:
- Flaked, season 2:
- The Alienist:
- Ariana Grande has suspended her tour after the terrorist attack in Manchester.
- Here are the 2017 Billboard Music Award Winners.
- A new Beach House album is dropping in June.
- If you’ve got some money to burn, you can own one of Elvis’ jets.
- James Corden will host the 2018 Grammys.
- Jack White is turning “We’re Going To Be Friends” into a children’s book.
- Nick Kroll and John Mulaney’s Oh, Hello Broadway show is coming to Netflix.
- David Letterman will receive this year’s Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
Odds and Ends
- Vanity Fair pays tribute to Carrie Fisher with a series of covers.
- A Golden Girls-themed version of the board game Clue is being released.
- Ellie Kemper shares the first phot of her son.
- Robert Carter – father to Nick and Aaron – has passed away.
- Championship motorcyclist Nicky Hayden was killed in Italy.
- Clerks’ Lisa Spoonauer has passed away. She was 44.
- Sir Roger Moore has died. He was 89.
- Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, died. Fellow musicians paid tribute.
Mashups and Supercuts
- If “All Star” was a TED talk:
- Earth, Wind & Ozzys:
- Deadpool trailer remixed:
Orange is the New Black Mirror: