I don’t know what the weather has been like in the rest of the country, but it has been a rainy mess here in upstate New York. It’s just been grey, thunderstorms are a daily occurrence and, to add insult to injury, it has been on the chilly side.So this morning I was slightly confused by this bright orange globe in the sky. I’d almost forgotten what a sunny day looked like in Albany. I’m taking this as a sign of good things to come; the yucky weather certainly hasn’t done much to life people’s spirits lately (mine included).
Another good omen – the pop culture roundup! While I’m enjoying some sunshine, get yourself caught up on the pop culture that you might have missed in the last week.
- The final season of Game of Thrones may not air until 2019 *trying not to hyperventilate*
- Harvard is offering a Game of Thrones-themed class this fall.
- Per J.B. Smoove (and I know no better source), Curb Your Enthusiasm will return October 1st.
- Erinn Hayes is out and Leah Remini is in on Kevin Can Wait.
- Netflix has canceled Sense8.
- A Breaking Bad bar is coming to NYC.
- Vince Gilligan has teamed with PlayStation for a Breaking Bad virtual reality experience. I have no idea what that means, but I’m all in.
- HBO has picked up Julia Roberts’ adaptation of Today Will Be Different.
- Julia Roberts is also in talks for another HBO project, a new series from Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail.
- Timberland will be a judge on ABC’s reality show Boy Band.
- Here are the celebrity cameos in Sharknado 5: Global Swarming.
- A Sin City reboot may be coming to television.
- The cast of This Is Us will appear on Billy On The Street.
- Odette Annable will play the “Big Bad” on season 3 of Supergirl.
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar will kill some vampires in Fox’s The Passage.
- Al Pacino will play Joe Paterno for HBO.
- The web series Brown Girls is coming to HBO.
- Showtime has ordered Ben Stiller’s Escape At Dannemora show to series. Benicio Del Toro, Patricia Arquette, and Paul Dano will star.
- Original host Ben Bailey will return as for the Cash Cab revival.
- Freeform has found 4 of the 5 leads for its U.S. version of Misfits.
- The prospect of a Friends revival gives Matthew Perry nightmares.
- A Sister, Sister reboot may be in the works.
- Sofia Boutella will be the female lead in HBO’s Fahrenheit 451.
- A live-action Cowboy Bebop TV series is in development.
- The M. Knight Shyamalan reboot of Tales from the Crypt is DOA at TNT.
- Mike Greenberg and Joe Tessitore will co-host the Battle of the Network Stars reboot.
- Roy Wood, Jr. will be the new host of Comedy Central’s This Is Not Happening.
- Cast members of SCTV will reunite to raise money for a good cause.
- Kevin Hart and T.I. are producing a comedy series for Showtime.
- MTV is reviving MTV Beach House.
- Futurama is leaving Netflix.
- Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Paulson, and Matthew Rhys all joined the cast of Stephen Spielberg’s The Papers. Now that’s a cast.
- Michelle Williams will co-star with Amy Schumer in I Feel Pretty.
- Michelle Williams will also appear alongside Adam Driver in a musical from Leos Carax.
- Charlie Heaton in talks to join the X-Men spinoff New Mutants.
- The all-Latino voice cast of Pixar’s Coco includes Benjamin Bratt, Edward James Olmos, and Gabriel Iglesias.
- Suicide Squad 2 may start filming in 2018.
- Hasan Minhaj joins the cast of The Spy Who Dumped Me. Kate McKinnon and Mila Kunis are already attached.
- Harry Shum, Jr. joins the already stellar cast of the Crazy Rich Asians adaptation.
- Hailee Steinfeld in talks for the Bumblebee Transformers spin-off movie.
- Amanda Seyfried will reprise her role in the Mamma Mia! sequel.
- Amazon is making a movie about Monica Lewinsky and Linda Tripp.
- Thomas Middleditch has joined the cast of the Godzilla sequel. So has Bradley Whitford.
- Veronica Roth’s next film project will be an adaptation based on her short story “Inertia.”
- Terry Gilliam finished his 17-year quest to shoot The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
- Dan Aykroyd blames Paul Feig for spending too much money on reshoots for the new Ghostbusters movie; Sony says Aykroyd’s numbers are way off.
- The release date for An Inconvenient Sequel has been pushed back.
- Murder on the Orient Express:
- Room 104:
- The Mountain Between Us:
- The Deuce:
- American Made:
- It Comes At Night:
- Ballers, season 3:
- Three new spots for The Dark Tower:
- Preacher, season 2:
- Broad City, season 4:
- The Mist:
- The Last Tycoon:
- Seven Sisters:
- Numb, at the Edge of the End:
- Swedish Dicks:
- Manhunt Unibomber:
- THIS IS NOT A DRILL – The Foo Fighters released a new single.
- Ariana Grande is releasing her cover of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” to benefit Manchester victims.
- Bill Murray announced tour dates in support of his new album.
- Trent Reznor announced a new trilogy of Nine Inch Nails EPs.
- Arcade Fire released a new song.
- Childish Gambino’s next album will be his last.
- Ed Sheeran dropped by Carpool Karaoke:
- The War on Drugs announced a new album.
- Could Janet Jackson be planning a reality series for Netflix?
- The Eminem Show is getting a cassette reissue.
- Beck is going out on tour.
- The Shins announced a world tour.
- Govt. Mule released a new album.
- A new J.R.R. Tolkien book has been released.
- Bob Marley’s son is now an owner of High Times.
- To Kill a Mockingbird is getting the graphic novel treatment.
- Joe Mande’s Award-Winning Comedy Special is coming to Netflix.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants musical is finally coming to Broadway.
- Escape to Margaritaville sets is Broadway debut.
- Here are the winners of this year’s Drama Desk Awards.
- James Corden brought Mary Poppins to the crosswalks of London:
- Cyndi Lauper will write the music for the Broadway-bound Working Girl musical (sadly, not the version they did on Bob’s Burgers)
- A musical based on Cher’s life is hitting Broadway in 2018.
Odds and Ends
- Bobby Moynihan and wife Brynn O’Malley are expecting their first child, a baby girl.
- George and Amal Clooney welcomed twins Ella and Alexander.
- Last week Stacy Keach had a mild heart attack on stage.
- Actor Roger Smith, best known for his role on 77 Sunset Strip, has passed away. HE was 84.
- Peter Sallis, the voice of Wallace in Wallace and Gromit, has died. He was 96.
Mashups and Supercuts
- The Red Keep from Game of Thrones recreated in LEGOs:
- A supercut of characters saying the name of the movie that they are in:
- 40 Years of Hip Hop:
- The Gang says God Dammit:
- He-Man meets DMX:
- Sesame Street parodies Orange Is the New Black: