Things have been crazy at work the last few weeks so I’ve been running around a lot trying to spin a lot of plates and hope that none of them hit the ground. It’s been legit bonkers – my New Year’s resolution of actually taking a lunch break has been replaced by multitasking while eating a salad at my desk. So last Wednesday I had just returned to my office from yet another unexpected diversion when my assistant told me the news – Queen Bey was pregnant. And how flawless is she? Not only is she expecting twins but she made her announcement on the first day of Black History month. That woman has timing.
And of course, as a ride or die fan of Beyoncé and Jay Z, I am happy for them and their ever expanding family. But the first person I thought about was Blue Ivy, who is about to have her world rocked by the arrival of her new siblings. I know because I’ve been there. I was five when my parents told me that I was getting a baby brother or sister (six when he actually arrived) and I was old enough (and smart enough) to know it was going to be a seismic shift in my life. I knew I had a good thing going and that a new baby showing up was going to significantly cut into the amount of attention that I got, not just from my parents but from all their friends. I was getting upstaged and believe you me, I don’t like being upstaged.
Blue Ivy has been the only child of music royalty and has become a celebrity in her own right. Her birth was a big freaking deal, especially since her parents had already lost a child to miscarriage. But now she’s going to have to compete with not one but two new siblings for the limelight. Twins inherently bring their own weird fascination, even when they aren’t born to
members of the Illuminati celebrities. Maybe she’ll enjoy getting a little more privacy and letting the new arrivals soak up all the press attention. And of course, Blue Ivy will be fine – it’s hard to be too concerned for a kid that not only is filthy rich but seems to have two doting parents. But I still did have a smidge of sympathy for her when the news broke, one older sister to another.
While I pour one out for Blue Ivy’s lost only child status, get yourself caught up on all the pop culture that you might have missed this week with the latest installment of the roundup.
- Ernie Hudson will play Rashida Jones’ dad on Angie Tribeca.
- The new season of Veep will debut in April.
- Edie Falco will play Leslie Abramson in NBC’s Menendez brothers mini-series.
- Annette Benning will play LA Governor Kathleen Blanco in Katrina: American Crime Story.
- The CW has pushed back the reboots for The Lost Boys and Charmed until 2018.
- BBC America announced the premiere date for the final season of Orphan Black.
- Someone needs to buy me this – a tiny replica of the Seinfeld apartment.
- Some Gilmore Girls fans tried to drink coffee like Lorelai for a week. It didn’t go well.
- The Montgomery Biscuits minor league baseball team is hosting a Stranger Things night. Check out the jerseys:
- Conan will return to the Apollo for a week of shows in November.
- Brian Tyree Henry (aka Paperboi on Atlanta) will guest star on How To Get Away With Murder.
- Showtime will stream Fire Walk With Me in advance of the Twin Peaks revival.
- Lady Gaga will appear on RuPaul’s Drag Race.
- Meet the new cast of queens on Drag Race.
- The cast has been announced for Hulu’s show Runaways (based on the Marvel comic).
- The CW is adding to their DC show lineup with the drama Black Lightning.
- It’s not all comic book adaptations at CW; they have greenlit the military drama Valor.
- After an 11 year ban, Pam Beesly is allowed back in Chili’s.
- Did The Simpsons predict Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl performance?
- NBC is considering making SNL’s “Weekend Update” its own show. Nobody asked me, but this is a bad idea.
- Judy Greer will appear on Hulu’s Casual.
- Matt Damon finally made it on Jimmy Kimmel Live! – by pretending to be Tom Brady:
- A new Showtime documentary will explore Jihadism in the U.S.
- Kevin Sorbo will play a villain on Supergirl.
- Shondaland is developing an adaptation of Luvvie Ajayi’s I’m Judging You for cable.
- Even HBO apparently has a line for sex scenes – and Girls found it.
- Jalen Rose is going to star in a sitcom.
- Toni Collette may return to TV; she stars in an ANC pilot about CIA agents.
- Amazon is developing a new show with the creator of Boondocks.
- Fox orders a pilot from Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone.
- Once Upon A Time is doing a musical episode.
- CBS has bought a pilot from Johnny Galecki about a man that lives life according to the Bible.
- Nathan FIllion will guest-star on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- Jack Nicholson will return to the big screen in the American remake of Toni Erdmann.
- Filming has officially commenced on Paul Thomas Anderson’s mysterious new movie.
- Aaron Paul and Christina Hendricks attached to star in the thriller The Burning Woman.
- Jim Gaffigan landed his first starring movie role.
- Judd Apatow is working on a documentary about his pal Garry Shandling.
- Liam Neeson is back in the getting revenge business with his movie Hard Powder.
- Matthew McConaughey will star in Harmony Korine’s comedy The Beach Bum.
- Jennifer Connelly has joined the cast of Alita: Battle Angel.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda reveals who he would cast in an In The Heights movie.
- There’s going to be a Fast & Furious global arena tour.
- Michael Sheen and Michelle Monaghan will star in The Price of Admission.
- Sarah Paulson to star in the serial killer thriller Lost Girls.
- Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn are set to star in a crime thriller about police brutality. What could go wrong?
- There is a The Goonies LEGO set and I need to have it (well, mainly just Sloth).
- Keanu Reeves will star in the romantic thriller Siberia.
- Sleep easy, friends – Sharknado 5 is a go.
- John Lithgow will appear in Pitch Perfect 3.
- An investigation into the film A Dog’s Purpose found no mistreatment of dogs.
- Ranking the pop culture moments from Wayne’s World.
- Showtime is making a documentary about the making of the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds.
- There’s going to be a movie about waiting in line to see Star Wars.
- Yoko Ono is making a movie about her relationship with John Lennon.
- HBO will air the bizarre documentary Tickled.
- Mandy Moore, Shane West, and Adam Shankman had A Walk To Remember reunion:
- Hope you weren’t super excited about those Bad Boys sequels – they have been delayed again.
- You probably shouldn’t hold your breath on the sequel to World War Z or the Friday the 13th reboot either.
- Split is the highest-grossing horror movie since The Conjuring in 2013.
- Zoe Saldana will star in the action/thriller Hummingbird.
- Robert Englund will become Freddy Krueger again for a new documentary.
- Former Blink 182 member Tom DeLonge is directing a sci-fi movie.
- Iron Fist:
- Fist Fight:
- The Blackcoat’s Daugher:
- The Dinner:
- Samurai Jack, season 5:
- Girls Trip:
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2:
- A Cure for Wellness:
- Stranger Things 2:
- The Handmaid’s Tale:
- The Fate of the Furious:
- Transformers: The Last Knight:
- Lady Gaga is going out on tour.
- Metallica and Lady Gaga will perform together at the Grammys.
- Blondie is back with a disco throwback single.
- Mariah Carey dropped a new breakup song.
- Future Island have a new album and tour.
- Two of my favorite things: Chance the Rapper and puppets!
- Fleet Foxes will headline the Newport Folk Festival.
- Run the Jewels dropped by NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert.
- Weed announced its final record.
- Black Sabbath played their final concert.
- T.I. plans to retire from rap.
- Morrissey announced new tour dates that he will almost certainly cancel.
- Hear Jake Gyllenhaal sing Stephen Sondheim’s “Finishing the Hat.”
- Chris Gethard’s one-man show Career Suicide will be an HBO special.
- 1984 is coming to Broadway.
- Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen have started a book club.
- George R.R. Martin’s new short story is for fans of Westerosi politics (and who isn’t?).
- Hillary Clinton is writing a book of essays.
- The first Harry Potter book is getting an anniversary makeover.
- So apparently Hanna Barbera characters are living reinvented lives in comic books. Snagglepuss, for example, is coming out of the closet.
- The Serial team is launching a new podcast.
Odds and Ends
- The Bronx Zoo has named two cockroaches after John Mulaney and Nick Kroll.
- This may be the most American thing ever: a Cheeto that looks like Harambe (and it’s for sale).
- Want to live like Johnny Depp? I hope you have a $2 million a month budget.
- Nicki Minaj’s mansion was robbed. Meek Mill have an alibi?
- Chelsea Peretti and Jordan Peele are expecting their first child.
- Madonna has been granted permission to adopt twins from Malawi.
- Jamie Lynn Spears’ 8 year old daughter is recovering after an ATV accident.
- Frank Ocean’s dad is reportedly suing him for $14.5 million.
- The cause of writer Michelle McNamara’s death was revealed by her husband Patton Oswalt.
- Producer and composer David Axelrod has passed away.
- Battlestar Galactica’s Richard Hatch has died. He was 71.
- Restaurateur and Sopranos actor Frank Pellegrino has died.
- “Professor” Irwin Corey, the oldest living stand-up comedian, has passed away at 102.
- British actor Alec McCowen is dead at 91.
Mashups and Supercuts
- 90s movie dance party:
- Stephen Colbert performs “Once in a Lifetime”:
- Someone turned Tim Allen’s grunts into music:
- Emilia Clarke celebrates the end of filming on season 7 with an appropriate song:
- Aaron Paul gets a shot at Price is Right redemption on The Late Late Show:
- James Corden and Adam Lambert has a front man battle:
- LEGO Batman on Gotham Cribs:
- City Slickers meets Westworld: